My Phrag. Olaf Gruss from Orchid Zone

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThienNgo Le

Reaction score
dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Ummm....

Your 4 photos aren't showing. Only 4 little black boxes with x's in them. I was able to view the page source code and get the photo address. It is a very pretty plant. It is nice that it has a branching inflorescence.

Ummm....

Your 4 photos aren't showing. Only 4 little black boxes with x's in them. I was able to view the page source code and get the photo address. It is a very pretty plant. It is nice that it has a branching inflorescence.

Thank for letting me know. The link below is my flickr album.

I see a phrag, but it doesn't look like Olaf Gruss to me. I wouldn't expect the flowers to be the size of a human hand, nor the foliage to be so wide. Maybe I'm not seeing the right photos, though?

I see a phrag, but it doesn't look like Olaf Gruss to me. I wouldn't expect the flowers to be the size of a human hand, nor the foliage to be so wide. Maybe I'm not seeing the right photos, though?

Hi, How The flowers of the plants look like depend on their parent. I have 4 different flower shape this Phrag. One of them has besseae flavum blood so the flowers are yellow, look very similar to Phrag. Mountain Maid

This has got to be the best Olaf I've ever seen!!! I didn't
even think I liked Olaf since most of them look like a poor Mountain Maid. Please put my name down for a division
when it gets big enough to divide. The flower is gorgeous.

pearcei hybrids usually show a characteristic dark line or small dark points aligned along the puch rim.
Could this one have been done with a 4N besseae and that could explain the huge size and the lack of the dark line?
I do agree with Eric, it looks pretty much like Eric Young...

Last edited:
pearcei hybrids usually show a characterictic dark line or small dark points aligned along the puch rim.
Could this one have been done with a 4N besseae and that could explain the huge size and the lack of the dark line?
I do agree with Eric, it looks pretty much like Eric Young...

I got it from John C, so 100% that the plant comes with the right label. I also have several Eric Young from john C too, they look different. I'm surprised with this flower shape of Olaf Gruss too. Recently John had sold several different flower shape of Olaf Gruss. They all look different with normal one.

That's nice to think but if you look in eBay paphiopedilums right now you will see a Phrag. Fritz Schomburg from OZ, with a tag that says "besseae x Scarlet O'hara". Tags get switched all the time.

That's nice to think but if you look in eBay paphiopedilums right now you will see a Phrag. Fritz Schomburg from OZ, with a tag that says "besseae x Scarlet O'hara". Tags get switched all the time.

I am also in the camp that it is more than likely not an Olaf Gruss. But in regards to kovachii crosses from OZ having the wrong labels, I was told by John that this was done intentionally when the crosses were first made to prevent theft. I'm 99% sure that the Fritz I got last summer had that same tag and since it is in spike for a second time I am 100% sure its a Fritz (I'll post pictures when buds 2 and 3 open--it's branching!). My phrag Frank Smith was labelled with a zygo tag! When I contacted John about that one, he informed me of the earlier theft prevention plans...

Yep, that is the same way my Fritz was tagged and got the same explanation from John. I wonder if Tony, letstalkplants, knows about that.

Several people have told me that but it is true Olaf Gruss. I got it from John C, so it is impossible that plant was labeled wrong.

I would not say impossible but extremely unlikely. Last winter I picked up a yellow besseae from letstalkplants that had a tag in it that showed typical colored parents from OZ.

I am also in the camp that it is more than likely not an Olaf Gruss. But in regards to kovachii crosses from OZ having the wrong labels, I was told by John that this was done intentionally when the crosses were first made to prevent theft. I'm 99% sure that the Fritz I got last summer had that same tag and since it is in spike for a second time I am 100% sure its a Fritz (I'll post pictures when buds 2 and 3 open--it's branching!). My phrag Frank Smith was labelled with a zygo tag! When I contacted John about that one, he informed me of the earlier theft prevention plans...

Why didn't he label them as irises?

You remember the Phrag. Fritz Schomburg with deep color that I posted before. The name tag was besseae and Scarlet O'hara" too. But it was listed as Phrag. Fritz Schomburg. This Olaf Gruss was listed as Olaf Gruss and the name tag was Olaf Gruss also. I also purchased from John 2 Phrag. Eric Young and the plant look different with this one. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure but I just keep its name by the way the seller labels it.

I would not say impossible but extremely unlikely. Last winter I picked up a yellow besseae from letstalkplants that had a tag in it that showed typical colored parents from OZ.

Yeah, I have purchased many plants from John, and the flowers turned out with a high quantity. Last year I got a besseae flavum from Tony but It was listed by a strange name I don't remember. I just picked it up depend on the ID number on the label (Zxxxx) Because I saw John saw the one that had the same ID# and he called that one besseae flavum. So I got that plant very cheap from Tony; and that plant just bloomed totally besseae flavum. :))

Latest posts

Back