• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold My Paph tigrinum with 2 spikes for your BS sanderianum from Orchid Inn

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Paph tigrinum with 2 spikes available for trade. It also has 1 old growth, 1 BS growth, 1 NBS growth, and 2 starts. I originally got it in flask from Hengduan. I divided it about a year ago and it has been growing nicely. It will need a repot after blooming as it is tipping over and some emerging roots are above the media.

I would like a BS sanderianum from Orchid Inn breeding in exchange. It doesn't have to be the AQ cross - any will do.

Here are some photos:
1000008283.jpg1000008284.jpg1000008285.jpg1000008286.jpg

Here's an old thread with some bloom photos:
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-tigrinum.49509/

--Stephen

There is no way in hell you will get a blooming size sanderianum. I have looked everywhere and they are rare even for good money. One guy said $500 for a division of an ok one and backed out because he didn't want to divide it. Also if you buy one they will say BS but they are never. Also they need to acclimate wich takes a year to two. Maybe you will get one, which I hope happens, but if you do tell me because I have been looking. I have a couple I got from orchid in from this guy and they are quite vigorous. Not bs but the closest you will get. I put a photo of his Instagram and contact him. I have done business with him and he is good. Tim Culbertson is his name Screenshot_20240528_140807_Instagram.jpg

Seems like a fair trade to me... I already have both, though. :)

But not like that. That tigrinum is worth _a lot_ to somebody. I wouldn't feel right taking it for a sanderianum.

I want the pollen if you bloom it before you trade it. Don't even care what the flower looks like, I need that vigor.

I have a jungle collected sandy that bloomed out very nice with 5 flowers. But it only (!) had 18" petals. I know Sam's crosses were all off the longest petalled clones. Before he closed up shop, Sam was selling NBS seedlings for $150 I think. I know this clump of tigrinum is quite valuable. But I've never seen one in spike being sold before so I don't have a reference.

There is no way in hell you will get a blooming size sanderianum. I have looked everywhere and they are rare even for good money. One guy said $500 for a division of an ok one and backed out because he didn't want to divide it. Also if you buy one they will say BS but they are never. Also they need to acclimate wich takes a year to two. Maybe you will get one, which I hope happens, but if you do tell me because I have been looking. I have a couple I got from orchid in from this guy and they are quite vigorous. Not bs but the closest you will get. I put a photo of his Instagram and contact him. I have done business with him and he is good. Tim Culbertson is his name View attachment 47516
Thanks for the reference. Tim sends out all the SOA emails.

Seems like a fair trade to me... I already have both, though. :)

But not like that. That tigrinum is worth _a lot_ to somebody. I wouldn't feel right taking it for a sanderianum.

I want the pollen if you bloom it before you trade it. Don't even care what the flower looks like, I need that vigor.
Hmmm but this one for trade is my slower growing one.

This one would have had 4 spikes this year if I hadn't let it get too dry when I went on vacation. 2 of the spikes blasted, but the 2 remaining should bloom soon. It grows like a weed. I'll send you the pollen:
1000008312.jpg

Also best of luck 👍. I wasn't trying to be judgmental because you do have a gorgeous plant. Just from experience from the last 2 years of collecting all the sanderianums I can it is a rough market. They are smaller than being advertised, not vigorous and not healthy which makes it a living nightmare, and are treated more previously than gold. I love mine and totally understand not wanting to share. They take so much time that it is an investment almost like a part of the family like a dog. A bit dramatic but the dam things take so much love and care. They really are a thing you stumble on and win the lottery. Hopefully someone will be willing to make a trade. However keep your plant and just get some from the guy I mentioned or another person. You will get better genetics and newer crosses. I think I bought 4 of Sam's from different crosses for $200 fromTim. All of sams larger one are taken or dead because people do not know how to take care of them. I asked Sam himself and he didn't have any leads when he sold them all except one which I already found and was fruitless. People are saving them for breeding. However I hope you fine one and good luck

I was contacted by dozens of people hoping to get Sam's big plants... I didn't have them either.

Did sell some of the last flasks he had made. I thought about keeping them all to myself but I know that I kill more than my share of these. Kept a couple flasks but if history serves I'll get only a handful of them to bloom.

for the record, I did manage to get a large single growth OI sandy in bloom for 120 a couple years ago. flowers of course don't ship well but it was certainly nice enough. score one for my collection I guess. Hoping to re-bloom it this year. Or next. or whenever. I was told it took >10 years for the first bloom. For every overpriced plant out there, a deal is lurking elsewhere...

That is great! I had this species before, grew and bloomed just fine but not a strong grower like yours. Take good care of that.

Back