My new ''hot box''

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside or outside... Either way doesn't matter in this case. But two layers are not needed. One more thing for Mike to think about.

two layers are better (depending on the type and 'size' of the bubble wrap) as the more 'dead' space air that's trapped the better insulating properties.
Outside is better as it will accumulate less mold/algae etc than if placed inside which is more humid and warmer - from experience!

Bubble wrap is pretty cheap, and should hold up fine since it's not outdoors in the weather.

I found a much heavier clear swimming pool cover (super duty bubble wrap) that I covered my whole GH with this year. It's UV stabilized so should hold up for several years. It also was pretty cheap, and looks better than bubble wrap (since it doesn't have all the taped together strips).

Well its up and running! So far no problems with heat retention but its still quite warm here this year. Hygrometer is showing 100% humidity but there are no water droplets anywhere:confused: Fan is on 24/7. min temp is 18 -20C.

Very neat construction and it looks very clean. I like clean. I want to see
a photo six months from now after the algae and dropped "stuff" accumulates. My greenhouse was fresh, clean and new many years ago,
but I hardly remember it now. ;>)

Well I'm convinced. Heat rules! After just a couple of months almost every plant in there is responding. Even cool growers like venustum and charlesworthii are moving well. The brachys have all put out a nice strong new leaf. I would estimate they are growing 4 times faster than in the main g/h last summer judging from how long it normally took to get the same growth without the constant heat. And all this with very minimal fertilizing. So to my mind its conformation that environment trumps technique!

So to my mind its conformation that environment trumps technique!

All Day, Every Day! Even growers with the most sound technique have trouble growing "hard to grow" plants with out the correct environment. Put them in the right environment and all of a sudden they be come fairly easy to grow.

Latest posts

Back