My leuco. alba no.3

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flower is very impressive - but for the correctness - P. leucochilum album doesn't really exist. P. leucochilum is a variety of P. godefroyae, it distinguishs from P. godefroyae by its pure white pouch, so the correct name is P. godefroyae var. leucochilum. That's why you can't differ a P. godefroyae album from a P.leucochilum album, ergo all are P. godefroyae album.

I'm not sure that they used just only the pure pouch to separate leucochilum from godefroyae. but I have other idea about the color of flower to consider leuco., I thought that godefroyae will has white skin flower but leucochilum will has yellow or light yellow skin.
Actually a group of paphio. we call godefroyae was found in the north of Southern of Thailand, East Coast near Chumphon province and around there so the local people call the name "Khaw Chumphon"(It mean white Chumphon) because they found white flower mainly with dot on pouch.
And a group of paphio. we call leucochilum was found in the Middle of Southern of Thailand, around at the Island and mainland on West Coast or Andaman sea, near Trang province, Krabi province, Phangnga province, PP Island and around there.the local people here named "Leuang Trang"(It mean yellow Trang). These group have both pure pouch and dot on pouch. It has yellow to light yellow skin flower. You can find many variety of them not only pouch and color but the size of flower and leaves too.

I'm not sure that they used just only the pure pouch to separate leucochilum from godefroyae. but I have other idea about the color of flower to consider leuco., I thought that godefroyae will has white skin flower but leucochilum will has yellow or light yellow skin.
Actually a group of paphio. we call godefroyae was found in the north of Southern of Thailand, East Coast near Chumphon province and around there so the local people call the name "Khaw Chumphon"(It mean white Chumphon) because they found white flower mainly with dot on pouch.
And a group of paphio. we call leucochilum was found in the Middle of Southern of Thailand, around at the Island and mainland on West Coast or Andaman sea, near Trang province, Krabi province, Phangnga province, PP Island and around there.the local people here named "Leuang Trang"(It mean yellow Trang). These group have both pure pouch and dot on pouch. It has yellow to light yellow skin flower. You can find many variety of them not only pouch and color but the size of flower and leaves too.

I don't know how people of Thailand distinguish P. leucochilum from P. godefroyae and which common names they use - but the white or light yellow base colour of the flower is unsuitable to differ them.
Taxonomists distinguish P. leucochilum from P. godefroyae only by the pure white pouch, without any spots. If you like, have a look at P. godefroyae
I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back