My latest quartz crystal finds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Went about an hour from the house to Saltville Va to look for double terminated quartz crystals. We haven't had rain ,so they were hiding. I literally had to dig and embankment to find these, and it was 85 degrees. I found one good size double, a couple of milky ,which I hadn't found before . I was just happy to find some !

Last edited:
I have done gold in California. 2010
One of the flakes had mercury attached to it.

Panning is hard work for 45 year olds.

Wire wrapping is beautiful and leaves the stone as natural
as possible. I've polished and mounted a couple of landscape jasper and they are beautiful if I say so myself.
Maybe we can do some trading down the line when you
get confident about wire wrapping. Have lotsa fun!

I was goldpanning and my buddy got bit by a rattlesnake pulling dirt out of a root mass on the river bank, 2 seconds after I did, lol..

Very nice, but not as clear as the ones from Herkimer. Something in the shot for a size reference would be nice (a nickel or a quarter work well).

True, only a few are clear. I only rinsed with water ,so they need a good scrubbing, and I'll reshoot with a size refrence. As a novice collector, only my second "dig" ,i'm thrilled with them !

Do you do this with the husband?

Did this dig by myself with our local gem and mineral club. I didn't find the most, but I found the biggest and best and the only doubles.:clap:

The Ga dig ,we did together...he's not really into the rocks like I am but does it to make me happy :smitten: ,and also to make up for all the fishing and hunting he does :D He's always been supportive of my growing orchids etc.

I use to fish with him but found orchids etc was more fun. He loves telling the story of me getting bored catching 5 lb bass in FL and walking away after catching 4 or 5...how most guys would kill to catch bass like that. I found no sport after the first one....He threatened to throw me off the boat one night when I wouldn't share the hot spot :evil: Now I'm content to just boat ride or drive the boat while he does his fishing thing. Funny how our hobbies and likes change over the years.

Hey Gilda, those remind me of upstate NY's "Herkimer diamonds". My dad and I used to make the trek up there ever so often to look for them. We also hunted for garnets, concreations, fossils, geodes, and on and on. I remember vividly one trip to Connecticut where there were exposed dinosaur tracks. We made casts of them in plaster. That was a blast - ah, the good old days of growing up in the 70's.

Watch out though, this stuff is addictive, kind of like orchid collecting :D

Hey Gilda, those remind me of upstate NY's "Herkimer diamonds". My dad and I used to make the trek up there ever so often to look for them. We also hunted for garnets, concreations, fossils, geodes, and on and on. I remember vividly one trip to Connecticut where there were exposed dinosaur tracks. We made casts of them in plaster. That was a blast - ah, the good old days of growing up in the 70's.

Watch out though, this stuff is addictive, kind of like orchid collecting :D

The Herkimers are beautiful , and I would love to look for those ! Sounds like you had an awesome time with your Dad :) . Yes, it is addictive , just like orchid collecting ! Thanks for sharing your memories !

Latest posts

Back