My first two flasks after the first repotting.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
Last year I bought my first two flasks - Paph. vietnamense and Paph. druryi. Now I've repotted both for the first time.

The vietnamense are doing great, very fat hairy roots, lots of them, and with active rot growth.

The druryi are not doing that well, unfortunately. A few have nice roots, but most of them have only few and thin roots. There were about a handful of seedlings that easily grew twice as fast as the rest. They were double the size of the rest and then they all died in a span of a few weeks, the leaves started to rot, starting from the tips and the new emerging leaves were yellow. I have no idea what caused this. It was only the big, fast growing seedlings that died, the smaller ones are all still alive. Does anyone have an idea what could have caused the big ones to die?

I'm keeping the druryis a bit dryer than the vietnamense, since I found that they rot more easily.

Anyway, here's some pics.

vietnamense, about 13 months out of flask:

20150928-p92814433oug9.jpg

20150928-p9281458i6uec.jpg

The remaining druryis, about 10 months out of flask:

20150928-p92814429ju3f.jpg

Since I'm still basically a beginner and most here are vastly more experienced growers than me, how would you say these seedlings are doing, considering how long they've been deflasked? And any ideas for what I could do to get the druryis to grow better?

Thanks! :)

they are both looking good to me. so you lost some of the druryi--the ones that made it look very healthy. keep up the good work.

They look great! So sorry to hear about your druryi seedlings dying - I am about 2 weeks into my first paph deflasking adventure and I think most of mine are looking good! Hope mine looks as happy as yours do a year from now.

David

The Viet. look wonderful and I love the leaves. I've found druryi to be a slow grower in my greenhouse. I lost a couple of two growth plants and I have no idea why. They both looked very good and then they died. Druid Spring does much better for me. It appears to me
that you're doing quite well.

Thanks for the comments!

It shows up on my screen as little white boxes

Maybe I'll use another host next time. I don't know why the photos don't show for some.

They look great! So sorry to hear about your druryi seedlings dying - I am about 2 weeks into my first paph deflasking adventure and I think most of mine are looking good! Hope mine looks as happy as yours do a year from now.

David

Good luck with yours! It's great to see the little seedlings grow.

The Viet. look wonderful and I love the leaves. I've found druryi to be a slow grower in my greenhouse. I lost a couple of two growth plants and I have no idea why. They both looked very good and then they died. Druid Spring does much better for me. It appears to me
that you're doing quite well.

Sorry to hear about your druyis dying. Same was with my dead seedlings, they looked great and healthy, they grew very fast and then died just as quickly.

I found a pic of how they looked shortly before dying:

20150504-p5040622rlp97.jpg

The centre leave turned a very bright yellow. Maybe not enough nutrients. I fertilize more now (150 - 250 μS) and the seedlings don't seem to mind.

Given the very limited information in culture, ( and even if the culture info was given), who knows but can only speculate regarding the decline & death of some seedlings while others are doing just fine.

You still have a lot of them and hopefully they will grow to maturity.
I'm not too fond of druyi other than that they tend to grow upright taking less space. I believe they benefit from a lot of strong light and warmth coming from open low land, sort of like exul.

Vietnamese seedlings look beautiful!
I love their leaves.

Depending on how big they were in the flask, I'd say they look great for 13 months out of flask.

Latest posts

Back