My first delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

Hi!

I don't normally have any luck with the parvi slippers, but I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it listed on eBay. It was in spike with two buds. I've only had it for two weeks. This is the first flower to open.

IMG_0322a.jpg

I'm really enjoying this one. I hope I can keep it alive! Yes, I know that these guys are supposed to be easy to grow, but then again, I kill phalenopsis within days.

Best Regards,
Nik

Well Nik, you have a very good chance of success. Your purchase looks very heatlhy! Enjoy those beautiful blooms!

'Looking good. I love the green in the staminode! Also, the foliage looks really healthy. Remember that delenatii, unlike other Parvi's, does not like a neutral or slightly alkaline medium. Slightly acidic is good for them; so, don't add extra calcium to the mix (lime, oyster shell, egg shells, etc). Whatever you use to grow and keep your Phals alive will keep a delenatii happy. Good luck!

Beautiful! Don't worry, I kill Phals too; they don't like me and I don't really like them. However, I find most Parvis to be easy to grow. John gives some good advice. If you grow Maudiae type Paphs, you can grow this one.

Nice one! And you're off to a running start with it being so healthy and the good advice here. I'm hoping you scored one with fragrance--it's actually among my favorites.

Most of us kill stuff here and there, but I'm wondering if a lot of the phal issues are from over-watering and/or not enough light? I cringe a bit when I read "evenly moist" because it's a little on the cryptic side and mine have always seemed happier to dry out in between waterings (the javanica aside). No pseudobulbs, obviously, but those thick roots and leaves store a lot of moisture.

It looks lovely, such a healthy plant too.

Btw, Parvis hate me. I'm yet to flower one (even my Delophyllum won't hear of it :eek: ) and the only Paphs that I lost were Parvi x Parvi primaries. Right now I only have a small handful of species which seem to be growing well but still no flowers. I think I prefer Brachys!

:rolleyes: Umm, he said he kills the Phals! :poke:
Good luck! :D

:rolleyes:Well Eric, I'm assuming that he does not kill ALL Phals....but, perhaps that is what he meant.....hard to believe, though. Plus, I said "Whatever you use to grow and keep your Phals alive will keep a delenatii happy." I was not recommending for him to do whatever it is that he does to kill his Phals.:poke:;)

Thanks for the comments and cultural advice, everyone! And as for my Phals, it pretty much is all of them. I currently have one plant (an unnamed hybrid) that is thriving for me. I have five or six other seedlings that appear to be growing. So maybe all hope isn't lost with me. :wink:

Lovely bloom - great purchase!

I kill phals too. Or rather, they die while in my possession. I've mainly written phals off as orchids that don't deserve my attention. :rollhappy:

I kill phals too. Or rather, they die while in my possession. I've mainly written phals off as orchids that don't deserve my attention. :rollhappy:

I thought I was the only one! Good to hear there are others! I keep trying, though, as there are a few nice Phals out there that I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

It's beautiful! My first is just getting ready to pop. Looking at yours is quite a tease for me! ;)

Latest posts

Back