My book (philosophy) is officially out!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score

My book has now officially been released! It's apparently on the "New Releases" table in the center of Barnes and Noble stores in major markets.

Well, this is actually my first single-author book. The rest are edited volumes.

Plus I thought "my book is out!" sounded better than "my fifth book is out!"

Congratulations! That must feel pretty damn good. Nietzsche is one of my favorite philosophers, reading some of his works right after taking a Chinese religions class in UG kind of, well, blew my mind...

Nietzsche is one of my favorite philosophers, reading some of his works...blew my mind...

His philosophy blew his mind too. I prefer Socrates. He seems to have thought of everything, and asked all the deep questions. Every philosopher since has merely been refining his ideas. Of course, Plato might have been the real brain and Socrates the vehicle for the dialog.

Sue, I like format of your book in that it is asking the questions before suggesting answers. I think its questions which are important, not the arguments for the answers we would favor (for often no good reason) over others.

Thanks again, everybody!

And, yeah, Tyrone, I think that's really important for exactly the reason you give—and for other reasons as well. Here, this is from my introduction to the book:

------

The questions I ask will sometimes be ambiguous. They will sometimes be frustrating, or leading. Some will have easy answers that are hard to explain, where some will be difficult to even get a grasp on. This is all on purpose. This isn’t a class—there’s not supposed to be a right answer that you’re trying to get—and philosophically valuable questions can be valuable because of what you have to go through to get them rather than because the answer is itself valuable. Keep in mind that in writing these questions, I am not always playing nice, or even playing fair. I am giving you a challenge and a direction for thought and discovery.
The “answers” I provide here are often not answers at all. I think that’s appropriate: these issues wouldn’t be philosophical issues at all if there were answers, especially answers that would fit into a single page (or a whole book). The perspectives included are not necessarily chosen because I think they are right, or because I think you’ll find them convincing, although that is certainly sometimes the case. But they are chosen primarily because they’re significant, plausible, and challenging—in short, worth working with and working through.

Latest posts

Back