Multi-Growth Cypripedium Seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
I have 3 Cypripedium seedlings that were all purchased as "near-blooming sized" plants and all had 3-5 growths at the time of purchase: Sabine Pastel, Aki, and Pixi. I have had each of these plants now for 3-4 years depending on which one, and none of them have bloomed or even increased in size. It looks like once again they are all emerging with 3-5 small shoots that are not large enough to flower.

These plants are not growing together; they are spread apart, but growing with other Cyps that are all growing and increasing normally. They grow in the same soil, receive the same amount of light, fertilizer, and moisture as my other plants.

I am starting to develop a theory that when you buy seedlings with multiple growths, they don't increase in size. I don't know why this would be but these are the only three plants I have out of more than 60 that were purchased as multigrowth seedlings, and they are all exhibiting this behavior. I'm considering dividing them this fall to see if it gives them a kickstart.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon, or have an informed explanation for why this is happening?

I ran this one past Ron Burch who has had a lot of experience with large quantities of newly bought Cyps. Here's his response:

"Interesting. I have certainly found when I receive the 12-15 stem plants from Anthura they take a few years to become happy. I think it is a shock for them to transplant. Michael Weinert breaks them into smaller plants with 3-4 stems. I haven't seen any issues with plants with 3-5 growths. They grow well immediately. Michael has said that he finds issues if he breaks into pieces with fewer than 3 grows and I think that is true."

So, perhaps what you are seeing is transplant shock. Since you are growing indoors I think this could extend longer than normal even though you obviously grow Cyps successfully. Cyps really are outdoor woodland plants and grow best under those conditions.

Thanks for your reply Tom (and Ron). Thing is, I don't grow indoors, I grow outdoors in the open garden. So I am puzzled as to what is happening here.

cyp culture

Joe,

three duff plants out of sixty isn't bad!
If they were mine I would dig them up this autumn, inspect the roots, maybe there is a problem (?) and then split them or replant them in another position, depending on what you find,

Regards,

David

Joe,

three duff plants out of sixty isn't bad!
If they were mine I would dig them up this autumn, inspect the roots, maybe there is a problem (?) and then split them or replant them in another position, depending on what you find,

Regards,

David

Yeah that's pretty much the only option I have, just wanted to see what everyone thought about this. It's not that I'm complaining, it's just weird. Every year I keep expecting a bloom and I never see one.

Latest posts

Back