Multi compots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Been a long hard day in Africa. Spring is threatening and it is time to get the last of the seedlings out of flask into community trays. Most of the quicker paphs made it into trays last autumn, but the multis were too small.
Up late, leisurely enjoyed breakfast and a few good coffees, then hard at work. Below are the fruits of my labour, all done and time for a beer.
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Awesome, what crosses are they?

Are you putting them straight into the greenhouse? Do you cover them?

So you did quit your day job!
It is Sunday, even here in Africa. I also started my flasking in the lab today. John kindly sent me a selection of seed, so today I did a few mother flasks (just for a little variation in the day)

Awesome, what crosses are they?

Are you putting them straight into the greenhouse? Do you cover them?
I generally split the flask into two portions. The smaller go into my compot/plastic bottle system, and the larger go into flats and into the greenhouse under the bench. My humidity runs to around 90% at this time of the year and temps are only starting to climb. I have a seedling bench which is covered and has a controlled temp/humidity, with good air circulation. Unfortunately it is full of seedlings already (mastersianum, violascens, volonteanum, ciliolare, wardii album, micrathum album etc)

These are all multis
2 flasks sanderianum
2 x roths
1 x stonei
1x stonei album
1 x phili album
2 x MK
2 x PEOY sibling
1 x gigantifolium
1 x shin yi sanders
1 x supardii
1 x anitum
1 x Hung Sheng Eagle x sanderianum
1 x villosum album
1 x Hung Sheng General x anitum
1 x St Swithin x sanderianum

(28 in all, some are just codes, and I don't know the cross off hand), and yes, I know villosum album is not a multi, but it somehow got caught in this group.

Too bad we don't live closer. You are working on some really nice stuff. Do you mind revealing some of your sources?

I love repotting and compotting. I just don't have the room right now for tons of flasks. I've officially started saving up for a greenhouse though. So excited! But so far off....

That is a beautiful sight! You must be a whiz at getting things done. It's
such a shame that those of us here in the US will never be able to get
our little greedy hands on your plants...damn! I'm sending good vibes
to your babies.

I get most of my flasks from Taiwan. They are a mixture from Ching Hua, Water Orchids and Hung Sheng. I suspect that a lot of them have a common origin irrespective of where they are purchased from. A few of the flasks are my own breeding with the flasking having been done in the Netherlands. Now with my own small lab up and running, I am looking forward to generating my own flasks. My first test mother flasks will be done this week. I cant wait!

Well done Trithor. Keep up the good work and update us with any progress. I would like to hear about your trials and errors with the lab.

I know very little about flasking and I want to know more about replating. Is it more common, or more appropriate, to replate the larger of the plants in flask and discard the culls, or to replate the culls in order to get them to a respectable size and compot the larger ones?

I received a flask from Ching Hua and there is a huge discrepancy in plant size. Any suggestions as to what the common practice is?

Well done Trithor. Keep up the good work and update us with any progress. I would like to hear about your trials and errors with the lab.

I know very little about flasking and I want to know more about replating. Is it more common, or more appropriate, to replate the larger of the plants in flask and discard the culls, or to replate the culls in order to get them to a respectable size and compot the larger ones?

I received a flask from Ching Hua and there is a huge discrepancy in plant size. Any suggestions as to what the common practice is?

I generally plant the larger into a seedling flat, such as those pictured above at the beginning of this thread. The smaller 'runts' I handle in one of two ways. I either plant them 4-5 in a small pot and cover with a plastic juice bottle which I have cut the bottom off (I posted a pic of this in Dane's thread on deflasking), or I plant them into a tray with small cavities, each in its own tight plug of pure sphagnum. The method I use depends on how many seedlings I have to attend to.

A few years ago I imported around 50 flasks in a batch. They met with an accident at customs, and I was forced to try and get a huge number of seedlings planted in a hurry. The fastest way is to plant them into multi cavity trays (50 cavity) in plain sphagnum. It is very easy to wrap whatever roots there are in a tight plug of sphagnum and press them into the tray. I use this method to pot up a large number in a short time. Then, when time allows, I pull out the larger ones and move them on to community pots. This also gives me the flexibility to attend to the larger plants individually as and when they are ready.

Latest posts

Back