Moving to Georgia!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwillard

Reaction score
Bought a house in coastal GA,settling in 45 days. Cats,dogs and all other necessities are easy to move but how do I move my orchids?

I've seen Andy's orchids using very large,long boxes as they travel to shows but most are mounted orchids that are wrapped in tissues/newspapers. Do I have to dumped the soils from my paphs, phrags and others in pots or can I get away with taping the soil mixtures in pot? Total travel time is 11+ hours by car or van,time to move them out of here will most likely be in early October when weather should be temperate enough for transportation within 2 days.

Any suggestions will be most welcome and appreciated.

Congratulations on the new house!

If you're transporting your collection yourself and you're driving, you don't even need to tape down the potting mix as long as the vehicle, or trailer that they are riding in has good suspension and you drive carefully enough to avoid hitting potholes and giving them a very bumpy ride. Although, very newly potted plants might benefit from a bit of tape to hold their roots and the new mix in place for the trip.

Simply get yourself some big boxes (about the size that would hold a large microwave oven...anything bigger becomes too heavy), line the bottom with a couple layers of plastic (such as a couple unopened garbage bags), to protect the cardboard from moisture coming out of the bottoms of the pots. Moisture will weaken the bottom of the boxes; so, they must be kept dry to retain their strength integrity. Also, add a few extra strips of tape across the bottom to give it a bit of insurance. A box with one strip of tape along the seam on the underside of the box might give way when it's full of heavy plants. Pack the plants inside the box tightly...each pot pressing against neighbouring pots. I say "tightly" because if you put them in loosely, they'll wobble and shift around......and there will be a LOT of damage to the foliage from the friction. Take your time to pack and put them in like sardines. If you're short of room, you can even pack larger pots in the bottom and then put in bits of cotton batting (purchased at a sewing supply and fabric store), inbetween the foliage of those larger plants and then put smaller pots on top of the cotton batting. Anyplace there is a leaf or stem that you are concerned about, pack a bit of cotton batting around it or inbetween it and it's neighbour. Then, you can layer more cotton batting on top of the smaller pots and put a layer of small plants on mounts, or small pots, into the nooks and crannies, all the while, adding more lumps of cotton batting as you go. You'll literally be layering the plants, like sardines in a can, on top of the plants below. But, if you pack tight enough and use plenty of cushioning, they'll all make the trip in great shape and show no damage at all. They will arrive in perfect shape, assuming you do not drive at 100 miles per hour over seriously uneven road surfaces at a construction site, etc.

Your trip is a similar distance for someone here.....say.....in Windsor, Ontario who is driving to the Montreal show to put in a display. That's about a 10 hour drive, not counting stops. Other than packing plants tightly so that they do not move, or wave around and rub on other plants/surfaces, the distance is really not a concern. You can stabilize tall stems by packing the plants tightly and then crossing the stems and tying them together with some electrical tape, or scotch tape, or even pipe cleaners. It's best if you connect 3 or more stems because a triangle is the most stable shape to prevent movement. Of course, at the unpacking end, all the stems need to be carefully untied and freed before you begin to remove plants from the boxes.

You can also go to the seafood department of your local grocery store and ask them for the styrofoam boxes that the seafood comes in. They usually just throw these out. A quick rinse and the smell is gone....especially if you use hot water, or you can let them sit in the sunshine for a few hours. But, usually, even just rinsing with cool water and letting them dry will remove any odours. Then, you can use these boxes to pack your plants. The small pots are packed tighly, using cotton batting where it seems like a good idea and cover them with the lid, which will snug down tightly; but, you can tape it shut if you feel the need. You can stack these boxes in your moving van/truck. The larger plants can be packed tightly into the boxes; but, they'll be too tall to put the lid on. But, if you choose the height of the plants carefully, you can put another box on top, upside down, to create a double-tall box. Use Tuck Tape (red tape found in hardware stores and sold for taping vapour barier when building homes), to connect the two boxes together. That tape is the MOST sticky and strong of any tape! It puts duct tape to shame. Once you've taped two boxes of an identical size/shape together with the Tuck Tape, you can also stack these. If you need a box 3 times as high, put two boxes together as described above and then cut out the bottom of the top box. Of course, now that it's upside down and taped to the box below, it's bottom is the top of this new double-height box. Anyway, cut out it's bottom and once you're done packing the really tall plants, put a third box, upside down, over the top and tape it in place. Now you have a triple height box full of plants and you can also stack this, too. For the boxes to be strong for stacking, don't be cheap with the tape. Use enough tape to make sure that the boxes that you are connecting are very well attached and not going to come apart. Of course, when stacking boxes, be sensible. Don't put your bowling ball collection on top of the styrofoam fish boxes that are packed full of your plants. Stack styrofoam boxes on top of other styrofoam boxes and put the heaviest ones on the bottom; or, pack other lightweight things on top of the styrofoam boxes. I use these boxes to ship plants across the country. They arrive in fine shape; so, they can handle normal wear and tear/abuse. Like I said, just be sensible and if someone else is packing the vehicle, make sure that they have some common sense and they understand what's at stake.

Or, if you leave the tallest plants just open to the air, you can jab thin bamboo sticks into the sides of the styrofoam boxes to provide supports that you can tie your tall plants and tall stems to. Of course, using styrofoam boxes means that you don't need to worry about water weakening the box bottoms. If you start asking at the grocery store now......and check with them each week, you can collect a nice selection of great styrofoam boxes to use in October. Whatever you don't use up can simply be thrown out, recycled or given away before you leave your old home.

Good luck.

Inci, I have successfully moved pants from Atlanta GA to Louisville KY to LaGrange KY to Georgetown SC to Jackson NJ to Doylestown PA - not to mention shipping nation-wide.

1. As you'll be moving in hot weather, moisten the medium - don't soak it - before doing the following. I have found that s few spritzes with OxiDate works great, as it dampens yet protects the roots from fungi.
  2. Cover the potting medium with "packing material" to hold it in place. I usually use wadded-up newspaper or paper towels - and secure it to the pot with masking tape.
  3. I prefer to surround each plant with shredded paper, then wrap the entire plant and pot with several sheets of newspaper. If I can't do the shredded paper thing, I use more wrapping.
  4. As John said, pack them in boxes as snugly as possible. If they can be closed, the box becomes another layer of insulation.
  5. Put the boxes on the floor of the van - lowest point so heat rises above it. I try to use vans that are open to the cab, so I can run the AC to keep the back cooler. Several of those moves had dogs and cats in crates in the back, too.
  6. When you make stops, try your best to park in the shade, and if you can't, open the doors.

John- You have no idea how much I appreciate the time you took to write down step by step help. I did cut-paste and send it to my mail to print out your instructions. Thank you so much.

Ray- Thank you for your input,I knew you have moved your orchids yet I didn't realize it was several times to different parts of the country. One question about open van,does the floor get hot from the axle even though A/C is on during travel?

You're very welcome. Ray has some really good points, too, that I missed.

One other way to pack easily, quickly and effectively, is to get yourself some nice, sturdy boxes, as described above, and also go to a packing supply place and buy brand new, clean, white styrofoam peanuts. I buy peanuts in 20 cu ft bags from Uline. These bags of peanuts are HUGE!!!...and they weight next to nothing. The Uline white peanuts are really puffed up, "airy" and soft. After you pack a box tightly with pots, even plants with soft, delicate new growths and blooms, pour in the peanuts. Stop at about 1/3 and again at 2/3 to "shimmy" the box and make the peanuts settle snugly in and around all the plants leaves and flowers. Fill the box right to the top and "shimmy" again. Then, add just a little bit more peanuts, so that when you close the box, you have to press down just a very little bit. This very slight pressure, caused by the top being taped down, holds everything in place. Even if you don't cover each pot and tape the mix down, if you pack the plants like this, you could even knock a box over and the peanuts will hold virtually everything in place anyway.

Then, at the unpacking end, unpack the boxes in an empty corner of a room. Open the top and using a box cutter with the blade hardly sticking out, carefully slice down two of the 4 corners to allow one whole side wall of the box to fold down, like a drawbridge. The peanuts will of course, spill out, which is why you want to do this in a space that is otherwise empty. It makes collecting up the peanuts so much easier when there's not a bunch of other stuff in the way. Anyway, now that a whole wall of the box is cut and folded down, simply slide each pot out sideways. As you pull it out, the peanuts will continue to "flow" out and fall away. With a breath or two, just blow off the last few remaining peanuts and your plants will be all unpacked and in the same great shape they were when you packed them.

Really, the main tricks to moving plants yourself with the least amount, if any, damage is to pack tightly and to make certain that EVERYONE who is handling the boxes does so with great care. Tossing a box full of plants packed the way I've described is asking for trouble. It's very shocking how careless normally good friends and close family can be if they think your "flower hobby" is a bit of a joke. And the worst are the friends of a friend who somehow gets roped into helping (perhaps because he just wants the free pizza at the end?) and he turns out to be a Neanderthal that has something to prove about his masculinity.....by deliberately being rough with delicate items, like boxes of "flowers". They have no concept that the boxes they're handling could possibly contain thousands of dollars worth of delicate, high-end plants. If you told them, they likely wouldn't believe you, anyway. The ways I've described to pack is only if YOU remain in charge at all steps. Only YOU are the one who will cringe when a box is handled improperly. That instinct is very helpful in a situation like this.

When I pack for shipping through the mail or via courier, I tape down the potting medium and wrap each plant individually and use lots and lots of packing material. Plus, I use yards and yards of tape along the seams and around end to end and side to side, to close and stengthen the shipping boxes; but then, I have to assume that the box of plants will be tossed and dropped at every step of the way to it's destination. There's no need to expect that when you're moving them yourself....unless, as I said, you have a "helper from hell". Beware of people who don't really respect you, or your hobby.

John- there are few things that are too dear to my heart to let anyone touch them. My cats, dogs and my orchids...rest are easily replaceable,been telling that to dear husband for many years.:D

I will be doing the packing and moving them,looked into van rentals this morning and unless I rented few days prior to packing where I may have to fumigate inside the van then hope it will be safe to drive away,I'll go that way.Another way is to buy a mini van and pack it to the brim which makes more sense since I have to come back to get my furry ones after the fences are installed.

Next step is the greenhouse plans,there is a propane buried tank in the property and plenty of space for a nice size greenhouse where cooling will be more important than heating. I think I'll go with Texas greenhouse on their model 1700 or 2000 to have enough space plus some more for my future Paphs,Phrags.

Oh you poor thing!

:D Waking up to palm trees and Spanish Moss off your deck..poor me!:evil:

Angela- more importantly,no ice...I was told last year they got 2" of snow and I'm thinking that is just dusting here. Looking so forward to it.

Thank you Dot!

If any of the members feels like a trip down south,you are all welcome.

Latest posts

Back