Mountain Maid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Here is my first time bloomer of Mountain Maid ( hirtzii x bess. flavum). I got the plant a couple years ago from Fox Valley, it was 3 growths, it's now 6 & decided it was time to bloom! It was on my display & won the blue from the bess x class! (too bad my photography skills are blue ribbon to match the plant!)

I love that one too. I hope the one I ordered will look that nice. :drool::drool::drool:

I agree with Eric -- that's not Mountain Maid. Mountain Maid is yellow if made with besseae flavum. The shape seems a bit wrong.
The shape is chubby in comparison to other pics I've seen, which is OK by me! I was expecting a yellow bloom & was a bit disappointed but then thought well .....
does the flavum color gene always come thru in all offspring? We've certainly seen varying degrees of yellow tones in different offspring. In paphs two album parents don't mean all offspring are albums, can the same be true in phrags? As far as the leaves go, they are barely 3/4"wide, so the narrowness could indicate either bess or hirtzii.
Oh Tom where are you?

Hi Rose,

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier, but we're getting ready for the MOS Palm Sunday show in Troy this weekend. In a nut-shell, it's definitely not Phrag. Mountain Maid. The fact that the Mountain Maid's are located right next to the Charlie Hanson's (richteri x fischeri) leads me to believe it might be that grex rather than Moutain Maid. The Charlie Hansons have been quite variable in color and the (over-exposed) photo I've attached shows one of ours. In real life, the colors were a lot darker than shown - more rose-pink and a lot less washed out. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Tom P.S. The MAOC in Omaha was great! I passed out a lot of slippertalk
cards, so maybe we'll end up with a few new members from
that area. Also received an AM/AOS on a nice caudatum......

Last edited:
Ahhhh - I had a feeling Tom would know & that seems to fit better, although mine seems to be a bit chunkier, which could be more fischeri? The color is actually more on the lavender side, maybe due to cooler winter temps?
So guys, should I change the tag?
And I'd still like opinions on a flavum parent always producing flavum colored offspring?

Ahhhh - I had a feeling Tom would know & that seems to fit better, although mine seems to be a bit chunkier, which could be more fischeri? The color is actually more on the lavender side, maybe due to cooler winter temps?
So guys, should I change the tag?
And I'd still like opinions on a flavum parent always producing flavum colored offspring?
I knew it looked familiar! I'd probably change the tag. Here's my Charlie Hanson:

Phrag_CharlieHanson.jpg

The shape is chubby in comparison to other pics I've seen, which is OK by me! I was expecting a yellow bloom & was a bit disappointed but then thought well .....
does the flavum color gene always come thru in all offspring? We've certainly seen varying degrees of yellow tones in different offspring. In paphs two album parents don't mean all offspring are albums, can the same be true in phrags? As far as the leaves go, they are barely 3/4"wide, so the narrowness could indicate either bess or hirtzii.
Oh Tom where are you?

Soud's like Charlie Hanson for me too... :D I will sleep beter tonight!

The beseae flava colouration should be dominant on greenish species like pearcei, richterii, boissierianum, etc…) On species with darker pigmentations (brown, burgundy, garnet red…) it become and turn out orange.

My besseae flavum selfing and sibling are showing lots of variation from deep canary yellow to cream…

Yellow hybrids should give yellow offspring if you don’t use any red besseae, schlimii or fischerii in the background. Those one are very dominant in the colouration...

From my Hanne Popow cross using besseae flavum, I've got many white, whitish even one pecotee and one yellow Hanne Popow. I use them to make St Ouen with my deep yellow besseae flavum... And I got from now only one almost pure yellow St Ouen, few almost white and many with a certain amount of pinkish blush and lines...

Generally, if its got flavum besseae You get lighter color and especially when you look from the back side. I will take some photos of one laterto illustrate.

Latest posts

Back