Most preferred Paphiopedilum medium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Please can all the paph growers post their most preferred mix, I'm trying to formulate a list of different mixes that can be used to grow paphs... And maybe start an experiment with some of my paphs regarding the mediums you post.:)

(E.G. Multiflorals ...., Parvi's.... and all other types.)

Please if you don't mind sharing you're different mediums, it will help a lot :)

perlite
grow stone
packing peanuts
(calcium carbonate for parvis)
(all the above over 30%)
shredded Sphagnum (less than 30%)
orchiata (small and medium grade) (30%)

potted in clear plastic pots

A combo of Orchiata, Prime Agra, charcoal, and course perlite. I like to use the 3 listed things with seedlings too but add a little CHC & sand. I just mix it all up and kind of "eye ball" it. I do add a lot more inorganic with brachys and certain others.

Great question.....

After trying all too many iterations of Orchiata, CHC, NZ sphagnum moss, grow stones, expanded shale, fir bark, LECA, etc, etc, in tests over the last 25 years:

For Paphs. An 8-1-1 ratio of fine, sterilized fir bark, coarse perlite and #3 size charcoal. (For Phrags, we add one part milled Canadian sphagnum moss to the above......)

Simply said - it works at least as well (and usually better) than anything else we've tried...

Fine bark (preferably Orchiata)
Sponge rock
charcoal.
Roughly 2/3 bark, 1/3 spongerock, the charcoal just has to be scattered through. For parvi's, brachys, I'll add some crushed coral. For delanatii, I'll add some NZ sphagnum. No harm in increasing the proportion of spongerock. Definitely do not go below 1/4.

I've switched over to Leca/Prime Agra as Ray describes for semi-hydroponics: http://www.firstrays.com/hydro.htm so far so good. In SA you can get it at http://hydroponic.co.za/shop/ but local garden centers may also have it.

For complex Paphs I was growing them in coarse gravel with leaf litter. Worked great but each year you would need to repot and add fresh leaf litter as well as clear out the bottom of the pot (where all the old leaf litter accumulates). I got good root and plant growth. Daily watering was needed.

I use rockwool based mixes for almost all my orchids. It's not an exact recipe, but generally 1/3 - 1/2 rockwool, and then I fill out the mix with sponge rock, charcoal and LECA (hydroton). Finally, I amend the mix a bit, depending on the species/hybrid and my mood with a bit of chopped sphag, sand and/or oyster shell. For a number of my plants, I top dress with sphag and bits of live moss.

Over the years I've used a variety of mixes, for instance fir bark based, peat based and coconut husk based mixes. But I've had the best success with the rockwool.

I use a CHC, LECA, charcoal, stone mix in clear plastic pots. Most of the pots have started growing their own moss, and the roots seem to like it.

I use rockwool based mixes for almost all my orchids. It's not an exact recipe, but generally 1/3 - 1/2 rockwool, and then I fill out the mix with sponge rock, charcoal and LECA (hydroton).
How do you water/fertilize? I'm reading rather complicated watering routine for rockwool, and I wonder.

That is definitely a recipe for growing phrags in warm areas. There are a lot of variations in the mixes. I use rockwool with diatomite and spongerock for Phrag seedlings from compot. I use different mixes depending on the plant and what I can get. If I have it I would use limestone and marble chunks that I've seen in photos from large scale Asian growers, unfortunately not readily available in NYC.

Last edited:
bark and perlite and a little sphagnum for wetter paphs .....they grow their own moss on the top too..but when I repot i may add stone and less bark to increase the time between repots

How do you water/fertilize? I'm reading rather complicated watering routine for rockwool, and I wonder.

Oh, you sweet talker you. Ask me how I water, of course I'm gonna spill...

For phrags, I keep almost all of them sitting in saucers filled with water at all times. Usually requires topping off 2 - 3 times a week, and once or twice a week I empty the saucers and start with all fresh water.

For paphs, I usually water twice a week, typically once on the weekend, and then once mid week. Weekend watering means watering enough that plenty of water soaks through into the saucers. I let that sit and absorb for a bit, and then empty the excess before night fall. The mid week watering is more like a light splash ... just enough to get the top and sides of the mix wet, but not enough that there's significant amounts of water draining into the saucer ... I try to avoid watering enough to require me to empty the saucers later.

I use rain, RO or DI water, whatever I have on hand. Usually mix in a bit of tap water, aquarium water and/or ferts. I have a TDS meter, and try to keep the reading at 100 ppm or less, but I don't treat it as an exact science.

Once a month I do a flush, no fertilizer. Just run enough water through to flush out excess salts.

Honestly, this is the same routine I used with bark and cocohusk based mixes, though over the years I've learned to practice a lot more restraint in terms of feeding rates.

I tried rockwool when it first came out. Things seemed to grow well in it...briefly. Them the medium got covered in slimy algae that bred mass quantities of fungus gnats...oh...and the plants did not appreciate it then either.

I tried rockwool when it first came out. Things seemed to grow well in it...briefly. Them the medium got covered in slimy algae that bred mass quantities of fungus gnats...oh...and the plants did not appreciate it then either.

I have the gnats covered. I simply allow the spiders to proliferate in my collection. Then when the spiders become too numerous, I add a few lizards to the racks -- they eat the spiders. When the lizards start to over populate, I buy a few snakes. Eventually they take over, so I bring in some exotic snake eating gorillas. And the beautiful thing about that is when the winter comes, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

I would like to add... For those of you who grow indoors, what do you pot your plants in?

I grow under lights in my basement in a plastic room. I pump humidity in to the point of being like a sauna, but my plants still dry out so fast. Right now my Paphs doing best (I don't have many) are in 100% sphagnum. I also grow many Phals in 100% sphagnum. I realize 100% sphagnum is crazy talk for many growers but it works for me. :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back