Montreal 2017?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of meant my comments with a :poke: at the end. I know Montreal would pull off a great show, but it's hard to live down the 'Big Owe', in terms of a major international event, don't you think? This is only in refernce to you listing the Olympics as a 'plus', nothing to do with the WOC, as I know the infrastructure is in place.

Well, we have to be positive about it and work hard, or we'll have no chance at all. ;)

I don't know what is the definition of an hemisphere by the WOCT, but technically, there are four hemispheres on our world. There is the Northern and Southern hemispheres divided by the Equator and the East and West hemispheres divided by the Greenwich Meridian. Thus you could consider that Singapore is in the Northern hemisphere while South Africa is in the Southern. In other words, different cities, different continents and different hemispheres.
So, in my view, if Perth had the WOC in 2017, it would mean different continents and different cities but twice in a row in the Southern hemisphere and if Perth or China hosted the WOC. It would mean three WOC in a row in the eastern hemisphere.
But as I said, it all depends on what the WOCT definition of hemispheres is. But even if it only considers two hemispheres, West and East, the 2017 WOC would have to be held in the West, according to the rules.
My conclusion is that Montreal should be favored because it would be both in the northern and western hemispheres, which means Perth would likely be next in 2020.
Does that make any sense or is it just wishful thinking on my part? :D Whatever the case, whoever wins will have to present a serious candidacy to win, and that's for sure. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the western and eastern, so you may have a point, but if you quoted the rules correctly, it simply states 'or a different hemisphere' - so, it could be any of the four. My interpretation is that all three listed cities are candidates otherwise they wouldn't even have got this far, right? Are all three official candidates, or just wishful thinking?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the western and eastern, so you may have a point, but if you quoted the rules correctly, it simply states 'or a different hemisphere' - so, it could be any of the four. My interpretation is that all three listed cities are candidates otherwise they wouldn't even have got this far, right? Are all three official candidates, or just wishful thinking?

Don't worry Kevin, the choice is not mine to make. All I can do is some informed or if you prefer, misinformed guess. :poke:

Don't see Christine and I going to Singapore or Australia for orchids.
But Montreal is sounding very doable. :clap:

Don't worry Kevin, the choice is not mine to make. All I can do is some informed or if you prefer, misinformed guess. :poke:

I'm not worried, just asking. I think it's way too soon to speculate on anything, since South Africa is not even 'official' yet, at least according to the WOC: http://www.woctrust.com/Home.html Looks like it's going to be in Johannesburg - only provisionally.

I have a feeling Australia might be bidding for 2020 now........not sure if I was right about 2017.

Either way I hope we get it.......lol.

Oh and if we don't then I am more than happy to see you all in Montreal or China.

Found this thread doing a quick search. There may be newer information on Slipper Talk, but since I surfed in, I thought I would update this. The 2017 WOC will be in Guayaquil, Ecuador.

Don't get me wrong, Ecuador would be a lot of fun, but I don't know if I'll have the money for a trip that distance. Where I'm at now I could drive to Canada in a 8-10 hours (depending on where I go). Plus, it would be a little easier to get orchids home.

Latest posts

Back