Miscellaneous stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I repotted the Cyps into wider pots. Can I use Wisc. 100% organic sphagnum moss to cover the media before I cover them in plastic? I will build foam insulating jackets for the pots and put them downstairs in the garden. I will post photos when I get a new USB line tomorrow. :(

The culture sheet I have suggested the corm should be 1/2 inch below the soil level. Then cover the soil with 1 inch of bark mulch followed by pine needles on top of that. Then cover with plastic (I used an inverted plastic tub) and once the ground freezes consider using pine boughs for the first winter. Sounds to me that your sphagnum moss should be a reasonable substitute for the bark mulch.

So..... I've spent much of the week reading this thread from the beginning... What an amazing record of your daily living with these amazing plants (and cats, etc..). Eric, you are very generous to open up your life and share this thread with us all! Thanks! I am so amazed by the amount of knowledge that you and others have on the identification and culture of these plants.

I must admit I love the stove/staging area and I think it amuses more than just me... and your handling of picture taking has come along nicely through the years!

I look forward to the updates.

I just re-read through my post...... AMAZING seems to say it all...

Cyp operation, the square pots are a small 15" x15" x 10" deep!! I wrapped them in moving blankets or 2" thick foam, watered w/ RO water, a drop of vinegar and a drop of seaweed fertilizer. Then I covered them in 4" of sphagnum and put outside wrapped in a tarp. Just in time for the cold snap! :eek: Yes, i also notice that the floor is not done yet! :(

Prersistent problem w/ jewel orchids that I have, some kind of rot or pest! :(

Last edited:
Angraecum magdalenae, from Andy's many moons ago! smells like egg custard, vanilla, and gardenias combined.

Some compots and a couple of seedlings from Mr. "No, I don't have any more seedlings I'm getting rid of..." Notice the cross in front,"?"!!!

Paph barbigerum album from eBay vendor (Deerwood cross). Hopefully it will recover from shipping and open up.

My big Restrepiella bloomed w/ 19 blooms and 9 buds, but my car is injured so I couldn't take it to judging, lost award for sure. :(

Stud list plant and Pk hybrid seedling from Flasks by Chuck Acker!!

Isochilus sp., unfortunately it previously got attacked by mealies this summer. :mad:

Paph Yellow Fantasy (Nike's Sunny Delight x hayaldyanum flavum) from Piping Rock

Eric, have you been keeping the Ludisia pinched? The discolor greatly
benefits from pinching back fairly frequently. If the stems get long and
straggly, they do tend to rot. I cut mine back to bare nubbins about every
two years. I have plenty of cuttings available anytime.

I got the plant off the floor, for a while :eek:, but the squares of tiles are impossible to get, plus the vinyl sub-tiles are not made in the same size so I have to cut each one, I am scavenging one area where you don't see the tiles to move them to where you do. Unfortunately, We are still damaging the floor from watering. :( It's my "Winter" project. :p

well i should really talk since i have trays on the floor too :) but at least i polyurethaned the floor first :)

That won't help. My recommendation is to raise the trays about 1/2" off the floor. any condensation from the bottom of the trays may drip but you would notice it and it should evaporate.

ah good point. i don't water directly into the trays so they really just catch the small remainder of what drains out of the pots.

That won't help. My recommendation is to raise the trays about 1/2" off the floor. any condensation from the bottom of the trays may drip but you would notice it and it should evaporate.

You need to tear up all the wood and vinyl, and then either polish and seal the concrete slab underneath, or put in ceramic tiles. Wood and other organic materials will continue to give you problems, vinyl included.

Awesome Isochilus! Hope you got rid of the mealies, I hate those little bastards... What's the silvery reticulated Paph to the left of it in the photo?

I'm with Al on the floor issue, putting down more wood floor is just throwing good money after bad. The tile that comes in pre-assembled sheets is pretty easy to install and grout with just a little practice.

Do you mean ceramic tiles as a walking surface?

Yes, there are very good porcelain tiles that are very scratch resistant and completely unaffected by water. But if you have a concrete slab underneath the wood and vinyl, polishing it is probably the least costly option.

Latest posts

Back