Miscellaneous stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)Wow!, Lot's of nice plants!!! You got your work cut out for you. You better finish the pie, you will need the strength.

The potted Phrags are from Peruflora. The Cyps at the bottom are from The Gardens at Post Hill. I put them in deep, 10" wide pots but since the roots are supposed to spread horizontally I got really wide planters from Home Depot and will move them tomorrow.

cyps

Eric,
good luck with the cyps. They look to be well grown, pretty big plants with large root systems.They are so much easier to establish than small plants especially when they may have to withstand stressful summer temperatures,
David

The potted Phrags are from Peruflora. The Cyps at the bottom are from The Gardens at Post Hill. I put them in deep, 10" wide pots but since the roots are supposed to spread horizontally I got really wide planters from Home Depot and will move them tomorrow.

Cone shaped spread of roots is ok. Don't want to force the roots a way they don't want to grow.
Just planted a Cyp pubescens in to the ground. The roots in the pot were growing through the drainage holes and in to the ground.

I don't think I can dig deep enough here thru what we use as earth, too many bricks, tree roots and pipes. I think I will pot them up and put foam as insulation around the pots. I'll do the work and post photos later.

I'd be sooo thrilled with that group of plants, especially the Cyp. roots...wow! Please show photos of the Cyps. to garden harpies and then
put the pots in the ground rather shallow and surround with soil, straw or
a quick-draining potting mix. The damn garden isn't going to look great
in the winter anyway...what's the harpies problem?

That looks like a peruflora order. I just got my kovach from them and it is four growths unbloomed with a sheath!

Congrats Justin. My Kovachii from Peruflora started showing the tip of sheath from a old growth 4 months ago, but the sheath has not grown at all for 4 months. It has not blasted yet, while the new growth is already growing big. I guess the old growth will not flower. I will just have to wait for the new growth to flowr.

Eric, what the flasks did you get from Peruflora? Did you get the Fritz Schomburg X Kovachii?

Eric,

What Phrag's did you get from Peruflora? They look pretty healthy. Good luck with the Cyp's. I planted my first one this Fall outside in the ground (Cyp. 'Philip' [macranthos x kentuckiense]. Tried to pick and easier hybrid for the first test case. Used my regular garden loamy soil but added a 40lb bag of all purpose sand for drainage. Also keeping it covered since it's been raining a bunch.

Double size Eumelia Arias, Wossen, pearcei x Carol Kanzer, and flasklets Cardinale x Pk and Fritz Schomburg x kovachii. Thanks for the info but why keep it covered? if it was in nature it would be getting rained on.

Double size Eumelia Arias, Wossen, pearcei x Carol Kanzer, and flasklets Cardinale x Pk and Fritz Schomburg x kovachii. Thanks for the info but why keep it covered? if it was in nature it would be getting rained on.

The cultural sheet suggested keeping it covered for the first winter to avoid rot. Beyond the first winter, there should be no need to cover it. Thanks for the info on the Peruflora phrag's.

OK, I repotted the Cyps into wider pots. Can I use Wisc. 100% organic sphagnum moss to cover the media before I cover them in plastic? I will build foam insulating jackets for the pots and put them downstairs in the garden. I will post photos when I get a new USB line tomorrow. :(

Latest posts

Back