Miltonia moreliana 'Royalty' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This was planted in a 5" pot in the early 90's and it hasn't been repotted again since then. It grew up into a ball like this by about 2004. Then, I thought I was going to have to move and I had an open house, where I sold bare root divisions to order. I hacked at it mercilessly and removed over half of the plant. Then, I didn't move. So, it regrew and covered over the big, bald patch again. It also sailed through the freeze 2 years ago with just minor damage, that it quickly outgrew and covered over.

*Cultural note.* This plant was always a very sick yellow by fall blooming time. That bugged me. I loved all those flowers; but, the plant looked like hell. By spring it would green up again; but, then as summer advanced, it went back to yellow. Yuck! Then, there was a discussion on the OSF about adding Epsom Salts to the feed water to keep our plants nice and green. The idea being presented was that magnesium is the central element in the chlorophyl molecule and chlorophyl is of course, what gives leaves their green colour. Well, even though I use a hydroponic tomato fertilizer that contains high levels of magnesium, in 2009 I began adding Epsom Salts to my fertilizer water (about 1ml per litre), around April 1st and I kept it up all through the summer to October, when I stopped. Apparently the sunlight breaks down the chlorophyl molecules; so, the plant must keep making more....and this is excellerated in the summer when the light is stronger and available for longer. Without the extra magnesium during the high light months, the plants can't keep up with the needed chlorophyl requirements and they fade to a sickly green and yellow. Last fall this plant was magnificent and green while in bloom! I was thrilled! ....And again, it's a nice, healthy green this year. It's always been one of my favourite plants; now even moreso!

15920.jpg

15922.jpg

:clap::clap:Fabulous specimen plant and great blooms! Great growing! And thanks for the epsom salts reminder!!

Wow. I have never seen anything so amazing (at lest not a Miltonia). Just stunning!

Wow, that is some beautiful specimen! :clap: Great history story behind it too. And thanks for the low down on what the plants use magnesium for; I didn't know that.

And look at all those lovely red phraggies in the first picture - awesome!

Wow has just been redefined!!!

Nice floor coverings too, I like your style. :drool:

Fantastic cultural skills!

I also supplement with epsom salts, but once per month at about 1 tbsp/gal...it really helps high-light plants stay green.

Fantastic cultural skills!

I also supplement with epsom salts, but once per month at about 1 tbsp/gal...it really helps high-light plants stay green.

That's about 4 times the concentration that I use; but, I fertilize about once a week in the summer. So, our plants are getting about the same amount each month.

Latest posts

Back