Michael Koopowitz petals

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrilloenglish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a pretty decent MK in bloom right now with three flowers -- it's a first bloom seedling. The problem is that the upper ends of the petals dried out very very fast. I grow in a greehouse with humidity never less than 55% and daily temps of 62 at night and higher in the day. The plant isn't by the heater either.

Did I fail to water the plant enough? Could it be the petals getting stuck to the sides of the plastic pot after watering that some how dried them out?

They dried out during the first week or so of being in bloom. This is my first time blooming MK so I still need to learn the tricks.

Thanks,

Christian
central NJ

The same problem happened with mine and my conditions sound much like yours. Others will probably know better than me but I think the flowers in MK may not be that long lasting. I've never flowered a sanderianum but I've read the flowers do not last long in this species. And from experience phillipinense flowers have the shortest life of the multis I have flowered. In fact the first flowers are generally wilting before the final flowers open. This suggests the flowers in MK would not last long either.

But still you would think you could get more than a week out of the petals. I'll be interested in what others think. Maybe there is a way in stopping the petals drying out so fast.

David

My gut it stilling me the problem is part cultural and part genetics of the parents. But, I am sure there are tricks & tips to extend their live.

Christian

Can you be a bit more definitive on what upper ends are? An inch above the end of the petal?
I've only had one MK bloom, a first timer, as yours. I don't recall experiencing the same as you or David. The blooms opened quickly & lasted a reasonable amount of time. I tip the pot, if needed so the petals touch nothing. I don't let the plant dry out at this time. I have a GH, 65% humidity,55 night low, day min. 70. When the buds start to pop the plant comes in the house which has lower humidity & light levels (maybe that's it?).

I am referring to about two inches from the tip of the petals. I am going to tip the pot next time so the petals dangle without touching anything. I also wonder if a nearby fan is helping the drying-out process.

Light contact can bruise petals and flower tissue. The petal tips are growing ends, so they are soft & more easily bruised than fully expanded parts of the flowers. This could be the cause - make sure your flowers don't get bruised by even light contact. Also cold breezes, even for short duration can brown a flower - moving the plant from greenhouse to home, if you had to go outside - that could do it.

I had two bloom last yr. Both in different locations in the GH one with higher location which got more light and more air. The other down at hip level and maybe same air but neither had any issues with short lived flowers. Four on one and three on the other. The only time I get bruised flowers/petals is when I take them to meetings or shows and they get bet up over rough roads or rough on-lookers.
GH conditions: min 50 at night with 60-80% humidy. Plants are not dried out to excess either. P.S. I don't stake them either

Latest posts

Back