Mexypedium Re-discovery (Habitat Pics)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting information. I haven't read the article yet, but will soon.
Thanks for pushing us in the direction of the article.

All the best,

Rob Z.

Given the amount of moss, ferns, and other green leafy foliage its surprising they call this plant xeric. It looks like a lot of the karst areas here in Tennessee. I think I saw a rainfall number for the Mexican habitat that was similar to TN also ( about 36 to 48 inches per year). Obviously it gets colder here in TN.

Most Phrags come from VERY wet habitats, 48 inches of rain a year is maybe half the rainfall of the more typical Phrag habitats. Most habitat descriptions include words like slash zones of waterfalls, stream banks, and other soggy locations. By comparison, this habitat is "xeric". These photos are a clue that you should not try to grow xeriphyticum with the cacti.

Hi
First of all.... thanks alot for bringing the article to our atention :)

Sadly the same issue of LANKESTERIANA is in memorial of Miguel Ángel Soto Arenas one of the people who first described this species :(

http://www.jardinbotanicolankester....9(3) 2009/04 Perez Garcia & Hagsater.pdf .pdf

I grow it wet....
I grow it in "Greenmix", a rockwool mix. It is the same I use for my Phrag´s
The "secret" in growing in rockwool is that it must never get dry.

Thanks again
Lars

I would like to sugest that the next fine clone, should be named after Miguel Soto....

how can we spread the word ?

All the best

Re: Mexipedium culture, I have them growing in New Zealand sphagnum and putting out grhigh eat roots. I do foliar feeding for all of my slippers, and this obviates pH problems when fertilizing.

Thanks. I went to language camp in Oaxtepec, that location must be out there. I hope someone gets enough seedlings to retore that area at some point. :eek:

well, at least the new discovery may stop the "inbreeding" in the future IMO.

Thanks for the news/article.

Back