Mexipedium xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Its been 10 months since I acquired this plant and the smaller growths are maturing and the two largest have thrown spikes. There are clusters of 3 flowers on each stem and further down the spike, there are also developing buds. Runners are also starting to appear so well pleased with first year!

Gary
UK

Somehow I missed this posting a year ago Gary! It looks fantastic! You really got it going on with this little fellow, Congrats!

Eric, I got my little, single growth plant to spike by moving it to a warmer, brighter location in the greenhouse. I suspect it was the increased light that did it. Try boosting the light to "jolt" a blooming response out of it. My little plant only produced one flower. 2 other buds coming up after it aborted and I decided that the plant was trying to tell me it was not really ready to carry flowers; so, I cut the spike. Since then, it has increased the size of it's starter growth that had stalled during blooming. I think I made the right decision for the long-term success of the plant by cutting the spike....still, it was nice to get one flower as a taste of things to come.

Actually, my point was that it might need brighter light than it is used to getting normally. That's what I meant by "jolt". It might not need really high light to bloom; but, it might need a sudden increase in light to trigger blooming. It's all relative. That means if it's in shade and it suddenly gets medium bright light, it might spike; whereas a plant in medium bright light all the time does not bloom. If it's already getting strong light, instead of nuking it in really strong light, I'd first move it to a shadier spot for a few months. Then, suddenly move it back to higher light. The sudden jump in light intensity will mimic the onset of a dry season in nature when the local trees lose some foliage, allowing more light to reach the plants which triggers a blooming response. I have no idea if that's how it works for Mexipediums; but, it does for some slippers, like Paph. sanderianum. I'm just guessing here; but, something made my plant bloom.....just sayin'.

I moved the plant from a bottom shelf to the top shelf at the beginning of the year. As our spring approached, this increased the light levels the plant was getting by 100%. I kept the watering/feeding to a minimum over winter, but as the light levels increased to our summer, I keep the plant fairly wet, feeding twice per week, which has resulted in a lot of new root growth and runners.

Gary
UK

Latest posts

Back