Mexipedium xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

My Mexipedium xerophyticum continues to do well, this year producing the most flowers yet. One stem has produced two open flowers and a bud.

This diminutive relative of the Phragmipedium "ladyslipper" is native to just a few mountains in the State of Oaxaca, Mexico, where the species was discovered only in 1995. It grows directly on rock outcrops, so the leaves are thick and very stiff, similar to a Cattleya or Laelia. The small plants produce flowers only as big as your fingernail.

My Mexipedium is growing in a 12" plastic bulb pan in a mixture of seedling bark, seedling coconut husk, perlite, and charcoal, with a very heavy top-dressing of cracked oyster shell. Probably the mix ends up being 25% oyster shell. I grow it with my Vanda orchids...so, very high light and humidity...lots of water during the summer...watering about three times per week...and during the winter perhaps once every ten days. This mimics how they grow in nature. However, Marilyn Ledoux told me to grow it "just like a Phrag".

Attachments

• Mexi_xerophyticum_A2013.jpg
    Mexi_xerophyticum_A2013.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Mexi_xerophyticum_B2013.jpg
    Mexi_xerophyticum_B2013.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Mexi_xerophyticum_C2013.jpg
    Mexi_xerophyticum_C2013.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
As this one is now growing over the edge of the bulb-pan, I need to find a larger container while still keeping it shallow. Any ideas????

Yes, but how big? This bulb-pan is 12 inches. A container needs to be sturdy, UV resistant, and can hang from the purlins.

There are various garbage can lids and things like that, or the bottoms of many cheap garbage cans and stuff like that that's cheap and can be cut to depth; just have to walk around everywhere with the 'eye' on for 'what can I use for....' And you can use different plastic trays or form a 'flat' from heavy wire wrap

Another also, can use heavy roll plastic or thin pond liner and line whatever shape container, and poke a few holes. Also lots of plastic organizer type things in box stores that could have holes melted into the bottom with a soldering iron or heated nail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back