Mexipedium xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s another one of my plants (happily growing in the autumn sunlight), still in my own compost for that species. In this moment in time I believe that the compost (or it’s components) is not the important part/issue with xerophyticum. Important seems to be that it is kept wet, too very wet…, hence: the growing moss!

5036074515_e765c360c8_b.jpg

5036692126_2f2dd4b4e8_b.jpg

Thay look VERY happy. You may want to use a wire clip to pin down the growth before it gets "airborne".

"Important seems to be that it is kept wet, too very wet…, hence: the growing moss!"

Odd. The moss in the original pic caught my attention. I don't grow these (yet!), but many say they are very drought tolerant- as in xeric per the specific epithet "xerophyticum". In fact, the US Botanical Garden has these in the desert area with dry air and cacti. Looks like you use mesh containers which would keep good air at the roots. Shoot, it's working- keep it up!

BTW, I saw Marilyn LeDoux (Windy Hill Orchids) a couple weeks ago, and she had a cross she did of 'Windy Hill' and 'Oaxaca'.

My Mex. is watered once a week in the colder weather months, and 2x a week when it's outside in warmer weather. So far, it's growing well (knock on wood!).

In Florida!? :p
Sounds like time to order some more stuff from Missouri! :D
JPMC, can you show us how you're growing your basil?

Sorry, no basil here. I live in an apartment and must make due with the produce at the farmer's market.

"Important seems to be that it is kept wet, too very wet…, hence: the growing moss!"

Odd. The moss in the original pic caught my attention. I don't grow these (yet!), but many say they are very drought tolerant- as in xeric per the specific epithet "xerophyticum". In fact, the US Botanical Garden has these in the desert area with dry air and cacti. Looks like you use mesh containers which would keep good air at the roots. Shoot, it's working- keep it up!

They may be drought tolerant Ernie, but the rainfall in the area they come from is actually pretty close to SE United states. I think about 35 or so inches a year if I remember correctly. That may be "xeric" in comparison to a rainforest in Columbia, but its pretty wet compared to deserts in parts of Mexico with rainfall less than 10 inches a year.

Some of the other recent pics show them growing on seepage cliffs with a certain amount of year round water.

I don't keep mine "phrag" wet, but water them at least as good as my paphs, and they grow like weeds.

They may be drought tolerant Ernie, but the rainfall in the area they come from is actually pretty close to SE United states. I think about 35 or so inches a year if I remember correctly. That may be "xeric" in comparison to a rainforest in Columbia, but its pretty wet compared to deserts in parts of Mexico with rainfall less than 10 inches a year.

Some of the other recent pics show them growing on seepage cliffs with a certain amount of year round water.

I don't keep mine "phrag" wet, but water them at least as good as my paphs, and they grow like weeds.

Gotchya. Seepage cliffs would provide excellent aeration at the roots too.

Thanks.

It's almost 4 months later and after one of the hottest summers I can remember yet the plant is still in flower. Good value for the limited space in my plant room.
Mexipediumxerophyticum10092010.jpg
[/IMG]

I've also concluded recently that I should be feeding more. I've been seeing some micronutrient deficiency issues in a wide variety of plants and concluded that pure R.O. water with a very weak fert solution just once a week or two isn't enough for most. So, independent of my xerophyticum concerns, I've started feeding the same weak solution more frequently. Perhaps that is why this little plant has always lost a leaf as it grows a new one and never sends out stolons. I'll try to remember to comment on this in .....say 6 months. 'Should be interesting to see what happens with these changes.

Well, I increased the feeding and kept my plant very well watered. I actually forgot to move it to higher light. Now, 4 months later, it finally has put on a new leaf without losing an older one and it has it's first stolon growing! Also, a lot more moss has started to grow on the surface of the mix (CHC/perlite/limestone gravel). I will move it to the sunny side of the greenhouse and keep up the very frequent watering and feeding. Hopefully, I'll get flowers in a couple of years. It's just a single growth with a NS of about 3" now.

Well, I increased the feeding and kept my plant very well watered. I actually forgot to move it to higher light. Now, 4 months later, it finally has put on a new leaf without losing an older one and it has it's first stolon growing! Also, a lot more moss has started to grow on the surface of the mix (CHC/perlite/limestone gravel). I will move it to the sunny side of the greenhouse and keep up the very frequent watering and feeding. Hopefully, I'll get flowers in a couple of years. It's just a single growth with a NS of about 3" now.

That's a good sign to see stolons John. Seems like mine is going to skip blooming this year, but I've got at least a half dozen new stolons coming on, and some of the older (until recently aerial) growths are actually putting down new roots into the potting media.

Do you think I could sit mine in water if I put it into a tall clay pot? Right now I have a shallow bonsai pot and it grows very slowly.

I would sit it in water with inorganic medium in the base, such as gravel, S/H clay and sand. And then on the top I could add some bark, etc.

I don't think that I could keep up with the watering to grow moss on top otherwise!

Do you think I could sit mine in water if I put it into a tall clay pot? Right now I have a shallow bonsai pot and it grows very slowly.

I would sit it in water with inorganic medium in the base, such as gravel, S/H clay and sand. And then on the top I could add some bark, etc.

I don't think that I could keep up with the watering to grow moss on top otherwise!

I have no experience with that method. I would be afraid of rot. For me, a daily watering of my plant is made easier by placing it near my water source.

Latest posts

Back