Mexipedium xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think I could sit mine in water if I put it into a tall clay pot? Right now I have a shallow bonsai pot and it grows very slowly.

I would sit it in water with inorganic medium in the base, such as gravel, S/H clay and sand. And then on the top I could add some bark, etc.

I don't think that I could keep up with the watering to grow moss on top otherwise!

I think that would be pushing it Fren, unless you ran generally higher temps. Maybe if you started in late spring or summer.

Mine grows very fast without the live moss growth. In fact, until I recently repotted, it grew aerial keikis. They definitely appreciate more water than what they get credit for, but I think it needs to be in conjunction with higher temps during the growth season.

Here's mine as of today. Transplanted into a mix of charcoal and sand this past July. The new shoot has grown since then.

Mexipedium-1.jpg

John M said:
Originally Posted by John M
I've also concluded recently that I should be feeding more. I've been seeing some micronutrient deficiency issues in a wide variety of plants and concluded that pure R.O. water with a very weak fert solution just once a week or two isn't enough for most. So, independent of my xerophyticum concerns, I've started feeding the same weak solution more frequently. Perhaps that is why this little plant has always lost a leaf as it grows a new one and never sends out stolons. I'll try to remember to comment on this in .....say 6 months (Dec 2010). 'Should be interesting to see what happens with these changes.

Well, I increased the feeding and kept my plant very well watered. I actually forgot to move it to higher light. Now, 4 months later (Oct. 2010), it finally has put on a new leaf without losing an older one and it has it's first stolon growing! Also, a lot more moss has started to grow on the surface of the mix (CHC/perlite/limestone gravel). I will move it to the sunny side of the greenhouse and keep up the very frequent watering and feeding. Hopefully, I'll get flowers in a couple of years. It's just a single growth with a NS of about 3" now.

Now, only 5 months after my last post, my plant is in spike!!! I repotted it in October and moved it to the warm, sunny corner of the greenhouse, where I hung it up with the Vandas. I kept it well watered all the time. I just took the pot down today to have another look and there is a spike about an inch high that was not there a week ago! This single growth plant looks very healthy; but, it's tiny! The leafspan is only about 3 inches and it's got just one starter growth. I'll post photos when it's in bloom.

Now, only 5 months after my last post, my plant is in spike!!! I repotted it in October and moved it to the warm, sunny corner of the greenhouse, where I hung it up with the Vandas. I kept it well watered all the time. I just took the pot down today to have another look and there is a spike about an inch high that was not there a week ago! This single growth plant looks very healthy; but, it's tiny! The leafspan is only about 3 inches and it's got just one starter growth. I'll post photos when it's in bloom.

Great news! I can't wait for the pics.

Latest posts

Back