Meet my phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't overheat. Both tanks are in the basement with ambient temp lower than the rest of the house. Temps in tanks don't go over 25C during the day when lights are on. At night it lowers to 20C in winter, 22C in summer.
The light fixture is not right on top of tank, it is slightly raised (two two-by-fours). Here is an old picture that shows lighting fixture (notice no blooms back then):

orchid_tank.jpg

I don't know what is too humid. Small tank is 80% which is good for phals and large one hardly gets to 65-70%. Front sliding doors have gaps that let humidity to escape I guess.
For the night I usually (when don't forget) slightly open doors and top lids to create small draft there for air exchange. I didn't have any problems with mold or smells yet.

If you're worried about overheating, maybe you can flip your day/night cycle.
That way the light/heat is on at night (when it's coolest); another advantage is that electricity rates may be lower at night than at the day. Also if you work during the day, you can be at home when the lights are on to enjoy your plants.

I just found this thread. 'Been distracted lately. I'm very happy that your besseae made it to you without blasting the bud. Your tanks are beautiful! I'm so impressed with how clean they are. Your plants look happy and well cared for too! If you can manage it, try to get the nighttime temperature down to 15*C for the Phrags and Parvi type Paphs. Phrag flower colour is best when the buds form in cool-ish temperatures. Thanks for posting the photos. It's really great to see such a nice set-up with lots of happy plants.

I think in an apartment the temps are higher, and when one is not there to watch/control things...:(

Yeah, I don't leave them unattended for long. I usually go down there twice a day: early morning before taking dog out while she eats and then late in the evening after work, cooking, cleaning etc. When everybody is fed and happy and I can spend some quiet time with my orchids. :)

If you're worried about overheating, maybe you can flip your day/night cycle.
That way the light/heat is on at night (when it's coolest); another advantage is that electricity rates may be lower at night than at the day. Also if you work during the day, you can be at home when the lights are on to enjoy your plants.

Interesting. I know that we do have lower hydro rates at night. Wouldn't work for me though because there is plenty of natural light in the room. Plants would probably get totally confused...

I just found this thread. 'Been distracted lately. I'm very happy that your besseae made it to you without blasting the bud. Your tanks are beautiful! I'm so impressed with how clean they are. Your plants look happy and well cared for too! If you can manage it, try to get the nighttime temperature down to 15*C for the Phrags and Parvi type Paphs. Phrag flower colour is best when the buds form in cool-ish temperatures. Thanks for posting the photos. It's really great to see such a nice set-up with lots of happy plants.

Thank you John. I could probably lower night temps a bit by just opening doors of the tank completely for the night, but not sure how other inhabitants would like it: vandas and phals prefer it warm I think. Maybe later when slippers take over the tank completely:)
I wish we had bigger house, so I could build yet one more tank. Now there is just no room to put it anywhere...

A lovely very clean set-up---- puts my greenhouse to shame!!!!
Well done,

Ed

Thank you!
To be completely honest - it is not as clean as it seems on the pictures. There is some dirt in tanks like dried up flowers and small bits of moss and bark that always spill from the pots. But cleaning them involves taking all the plants out, taking apart all the levels, washing everything up (half-day job) - I only did it once since creation.
I am waiting until mess will become more noticeable :eek:

Back