Meet my phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

I got my besseae. It came from member John_M today perfectly packed and in immaculate condition. Thank you John. The best thing - it has a spike:

phrag_besseae2.jpg

I kept it in the same medium and just carefully moved it to a see-through pot.

The other one is Phrag. Eric Young, I got it at the show in Montreal. I am not sure if it was a good purchase because leaves have some damage, but it has a spike, all 4 mature fans have a green nub of the new growth coming and it was really cheap, so I got it:

phrag_eric_young3.jpg

They live in the larger orchid tank under T5 HO lights:

phrags_in_tank.jpg

Very healthy plants in that tank - well done. Would love to see a pic when the new phrags bloom.

Welcome to the Yay besseae club!
Yay besseae! + Yay besseae hybrid!

Is that the $700 besseae from John!?
Yeah rrright! My first besseae - and get the most expensive plant to try and potentially kill.
No, it is a modest $60 plant with nice flat evenly colored bloom, clean foliage and bunch of new green roots. Hope I can keep her healthy and happy. I collect rain water now. :)

Also I read that you supposed to keep them in a saucer with water. Is that true?

I love seeing a nice, clean tank setup with healthy plants. Would you mind posting some pics of the setup with dimensions, ect. If not on this post, perhaps a different thread. I'm also a tank grower and I really enjoy making visual comparisons.

The besseae is a 'carlisle', is it not??? If so, it is my favorite of them and in my opinion the best one around.

Sorry for the redundant post. I blame my inferior OS at work. I look forward to seeing some pics of the tank.

My growing spaces

Here are some pictures of my two tanks. I built them last winter when realized that humidity matters
Tank 1 (60 X 22 X 22 inch) is smaller, hosts mainly phals.
When I bought it:

terrarium.jpg

Now:

orchid_tank1.jpg

I blogged about building it here: http://www.orchideya.ca/search/label/orchid%20tank

Tank 2 (62 X 20 X 32)
When I bought it:

orchid_tank_two.jpg

Now:

orchid_tank.jpg

Thank you guys!
Yes, all plants became happy there. Before tanks my phals hardly ever spiked and most of the time those spikes would blast the buds, especially species. Now they bloom a lot. :)

Latest posts

Back