Measurements when posting pictures

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphluvr

Reaction score
We get a lot of very nice pictures posted of our Paphs here on ST, but not many people include flower dimensions in their thread. I think it would be helpful to beginning growers as well as more advanced growers if flower sizes were given along with the pics. Dorsal width and length, petal width and length, etc., not just natural spread. It would give everyone a baseline to see how their plants measure up.

Does anyone else agree?

I definitely agree. For some species like roths it is very common to include dorsal size and spread. For others like sandies the petal length is worth mentioning (for newer clones also the DS). But I am not sure if these measurements are important for gigantifolium for example since this species is not bred for size at the moment. Or ooiis which are not particularly attractive but very intersting from the botanical side of view...

Well, considering I'm always running around with my measure tape whenever my Paphs flower (or don't flower for that matter), I wouldn't mind. If you can measure it, it should be measured! Or something... :p

In general I agree that it would be helpful. It's generally considered a success if you can get people to post whole plant pictures for size comparison :) and if anyone wanted more info they could always ask. Many things posted most people won't want measurement info though I'm sure most would like general size and comparison to plant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pressure for a full set of measurements from someone who otherwise might not measure at all will just inhibit posting, which I'm sure we don't want. But I definitely agree that some primary measurement is helpful, and I also appreciate full plant pictures.

It's not a pressure, it is a useful information, I'd appreciate a lot! Those who want to give measure, do so, and there will be lots of grateful slippertalkers !

Perhaps a scaled item in the plane of the picture will be both easy for the poster and allow those interested enough to scale whichever aspects are of interest to themselves. Not accurate, but flexible without being a burden on the person posting?

I usually take full plant pictures (including pot), when I think about it. I have no problem going back to measure something. I have also been contemplating taking photos in place on the bench. Takes away the black background, but size can be compared with the 1x2'' wire bench and hanging walls behind them.

I think it would be helpful to beginning growers as well as more advanced growers if flower sizes were given along with the pics. It would give everyone a baseline to see how their plants measure up.

Does anyone else agree?

These days I'm finding it more interesting and useful to find out how big the leaf span of the blooming plant is, and often a whole plant pic to show leaf color and number of growths.

The flower size may be useful for points at judging, but rather than comparing to ST member pics I try to access judging records if I'm interested in getting the flower awarded. Books on species (like Cribb's) also have the normal flower dimensions listed, so you can compare your flower to the wild plant dimensions through those sources.

For non slippers, I do like some reference to flower size included because close up pics of really cool flowers give the impression that it's also a very big flower. (and then when I get that neat Bulbo home and it blooms a 5mm flower then I find it not so cool without my magnifying lens:eek:)

My suggestion is; those that like measuring and are interested in knowing the measurements, could include said measurements; those that are not interested could completely ignore it. So let's make the decision up to the poster in other words. That way no one has to feel forced to measure plants and/or flowers when posting pictures, while people like me can add whatever measurements we want to add. The most important part to me after all, is to drool over your Paphs, so I don't want to discourage people from posting pictures.

What do you guys say?

No one was writing about forcing anyone to anything....

Be happy :wink: and a happy new year, too.

No one was writing about forcing anyone to anything....

Be happy :wink: and a happy new year, too.

I would post either way. It depends on whats blooming and worth sharing. I have plenty of ugly flowers throughout the year in the gh.They go stright to the compost pile, not on my sd card lol! One more compot of a Slc. Dream Weaver to bloom out to find the best one, and some Phal. bellina's.After that my collection should be down a good bit under the 300 mark and just select plants.

I didn't start this thread with the intention of forcing anyone to take measurements of the plants in their posts, I was just trying to see if anyone else thought it might be useful. I realize that form and color are also other important considerations as to the attractiveness of a particular flower, but all other things being equal, size does matter. Do I want to continue to grow an inferior plant or do I want to try to find a better one? We don't all have access to Awards Quarterly.

I didn't start this thread with the intention of forcing anyone to take measurements of the plants in their posts, I was just trying to see if anyone else thought it might be useful. I realize that form and color are also other important considerations as to the attractiveness of a particular flower, but all other things being equal, size does matter. Do I want to continue to grow an inferior plant or do I want to try to find a better one? We don't all have access to Awards Quarterly.
Nah, it was me who got the impression than someone felt forced. I don't know where I got it from to be honest, because when I reread the posts, I didn't get that impression again. I blame bad tea. :eek:

Latest posts

Back