Mealy bugs and Scale. End of me I Quit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lady slipper

I have loved and enjoyed orchids for more than ten years and have a fairly large collection built up...fav paphs and phals. I got a start of mealy bugs from a greenhouse in SD. I never had them before and boy did I find out what those critters are like. I hand water daily and besides this take huge chunks of time to hand pick scales and mealies. When I do get a nice truss of phal blooms I get sticky crap in and around petals that ruin those. I have tried various chemicals and all to no avail....yes, I know try this try that. I spray alchohol and pick bugs and am just at my wits end. It just spoils all the fun. As much as i love orchids I am only one or two days away from loosing it and into the garbage they go!! HELP.

Unfortunately, the best way to get rid of them in a home environment is manually. I do plant maintenance on a part of the collection daily. (1-2 hours). After removing any bad critters manually I spray with a solution, Water, alcohol, Dr. Bonner's lavender soap, Neem oil and Merit 75. I follow up in a month with another application, seems to work. Keep hope alive, we can win this battle. :)

Mealys are one of the easiest to get rid of in my opinion. You just need to do a diligent spray of insecticide to break the cycle as they don't hatch at the same time. I use Safer's works great on them.

I just had a cleaning of my gh, meaning 600 plants out, high-pressure cleaner, and plants back.. but most of them had to be checked for mealies and similar! For me the best remedy is still a solid tooth-brush when you have mature plants...!!! Jean

Try malathion. It is harmless to humans and most other critters and doesn't seem to harm the plants. It smells terrible, so spray the plants/green house and then go out for the day. This stuff even knocked the mealybug from my lemon tree. Plants seem to take the chemical up into their tissues so it serves as a systemic. I never needed to use the malathion a second time.

I have been there. After years of suffering i went for the big guns. It is expensive but oh-so-worth it...

I use a mix of Enstar II and Decathlon 20 WP. I bought them both from Hummert. I have never had another infestation after implementing this. If a single mealy or scale comes in from the outside, i do a quick spray down of the collection, repeat a week later, and see nothing again for months.

Try malathion. It is harmless to humans and most other critters and doesn't seem to harm the plants. It smells terrible, so spray the plants/green house and then go out for the day. This stuff even knocked the mealybug from my lemon tree. Plants seem to take the chemical up into their tissues so it serves as a systemic. I never needed to use the malathion a second time.

Harmless to humain?? Systemic?

i guess malathion does have fairly low mammalian toxicity, even though it's an organophosphate
at least, that's what wikipedia says

I had the same problem with mealy bugs. A big infestation that I couldn't get rid of. I was wanting to give up my hobby too. Then I read that the best way to kill them was to mix white oil with ROGOR (50% mix). The ROGOR is systemic and the white oil helps the plant absorb the ROGOR. I sprayed it for 3 weeks in a row. I haven't had much problem since. The ROGOR stinks though. I hate the smell.

if you don't mind having a few bugs in the house, you could get some lacewing eggs (or larvae) to eat the mealies
they won't go after adult scale though
and they will bite and it will hurt a little, if you cross them, so to speak
you'll also find dead adult lacewings around eventually too, but i don't think they actually eat as adults, but certainly don't have any interest in people

Don't forget what every you spray, do multiple spraying a week apart. I usually go for 4 spraying.

On another note, I've been spraying horticulture oil at 1 tablespoon per gallon on my whole collection (greenhouse) once a month. Have been doing this for over a year and no little bugs to date.

Regular preventative maintenance is necessary with sizable collections of plants, particularly if there are exposure risks (i.e. new acquisitions, plants coming in from outdoors, etc).

The important thing to note is that, it can take time for these methods to work, and most of them do require regular treatment. Once the pests are visibly gone, you will still need and want to develop a strategy to keep them at bay.

My pest/disease preventative is monthly to bi-monthly application of Neem oil. I like it because it makes the leaves shine, kills insects, and seems to significantly reduce the spread of fungal/bacterial infections. I mix a relatively weak dose with some dish detergent and spray. It seems effective. It does have a pungent odor, but the smell is far more palatable than the bitterants or whatever it is they add to insecticides to make them smell so repulsive.

For more pro-active care, I'll hit plants with some Safer soap if I see scale insects, mealy bugs, or mite damage. I actually don't know whether it's more effective than Neem, but I feel like mixing things up a bit will help prevent the pests from adapting. For fungal or bacterial issues, I keep a spray bottle of cinnamon extract, though I use that very sparingly after finding out the hard way that bromeliads and several other types of plants can't handle even a bit of side splash.

I can't say I've had any major battles with mealy or scale (yet), but I know in my collection, it seems to be mites that find their way in from time to time. Other than that, most of my creepy crawlies are more benign, such as pill bugs, spring tails, fungus gnats, and spiders. I don't generally bother to spray or treat for those. A good flush tends to flood most of them out periodically and keeps those populations in check.

I like the products that you drench with. Plant takes it up, unwanted livestock get the effects no matter where they are hiding and my plants become pest free. Spraying wasn't an option for me. I have been using Merit 75 as a drench. Once a week for three weeks - four weeks for mealies. I haven't tried Orthene WP yet, although I have invested in it. Will have to just close the doors to the plant room when I do use it.

Since we are on the subject! How long after using Orthene does it take before it doesn't smell so nasty?

I had the same problem with mealy bugs. A big infestation that I couldn't get rid of. I was wanting to give up my hobby too. Then I read that the best way to kill them was to mix white oil with ROGOR (50% mix). The ROGOR is systemic and the white oil helps the plant absorb the ROGOR. I sprayed it for 3 weeks in a row. I haven't had much problem since. The ROGOR stinks though. I hate the smell.

David, where can you get ROGOR, nowadays?

I like the products that you drench with. Plant takes it up, unwanted livestock get the effects no matter where they are hiding and my plants become pest free. Spraying wasn't an option for me. I have been using Merit 75 as a drench. Once a week for three weeks - four weeks for mealies. I haven't tried Orthene WP yet, although I have invested in it. Will have to just close the doors to the plant room when I do use it.

Since we are on the subject! How long after using Orthene does it take before it doesn't smell so nasty?

I just used Orthene 97 for the first time, and I sprayed it in my house. NOT ADVISEABLE AT ALL! I'll never use it in home again. Not only was it stinky, it definitely traveled throughout the house. I was woozy for sure and so was my wife, who was one floor up from where I sprayed. I sprayed a week later outdoors, much better. That was this past weekend, and my plants still smell like dead rat/ burnt hair/ open sewer. But it is waning by the day. I still have a small scale problem on 4 plants, they've been quarantined and they'll have to be treated again this weekend. One thing I can say, no phytotoxicity whatsoever. But, please, do not spray this in your house. Especially if you have little ones or pets

David, where can you get ROGOR, nowadays?

I still have the bottle I bought many years ago. I don't need to use it much. Is it no longer available?

Whatever you use you need something systemic. A lot of people recommend Confidor. It kills mealy bugs that are directly sprayed on but does nothing on the majority you can't see.

I don't beleive in biological control. It is impossible for a predator to eliminate all prey, and in nature it is conterproductif to do. Population tend to balance and there will always be some bugs left with biological control.

There is a greenhouse here advertising a chimical free environment and biololical control only. Well I went there and many of their plants were infested with mealbugs and other insects. As a result many of the orchid leaves were full of black spots and in poor condition.

I battled mealbugs for 2 years in some of my orchids and finally got rid of them with washing, brushing, etc... but if I had a large collection infested I would take out the strong products. Easy to get rid of? I did not think so.

if you don't mind having a few bugs in the house, you could get some lacewing eggs (or larvae) to eat the mealies
they won't go after adult scale though
and they will bite and it will hurt a little, if you cross them, so to speak
you'll also find dead adult lacewings around eventually too, but i don't think they actually eat as adults, but certainly don't have any interest in people

Harmless to humain?? Systemic?

Yeah, some guy drank a glass of the stuff to prove to people that it was safe to spray on suburban areas to kill mosquitoes (West Nile paranoia I think). I must dig up the article... Anyway, he lived.

The bottle I had advised not eating fruits off a sprayed tree for 30 days... I can't image why. If a glass won't kill you, a trace wouldn't.

I just used Orthene 97 for the first time, and I sprayed it in my house. NOT ADVISEABLE AT ALL! I'll never use it in home again. Not only was it stinky, it definitely traveled throughout the house. I was woozy for sure and so was my wife, who was one floor up from where I sprayed. I sprayed a week later outdoors, much better. That was this past weekend, and my plants still smell like dead rat/ burnt hair/ open sewer. But it is waning by the day. I still have a small scale problem on 4 plants, they've been quarantined and they'll have to be treated again this weekend. One thing I can say, no phytotoxicity whatsoever. But, please, do not spray this in your house. Especially if you have little ones or pets

Because I do grow in my home, I never spray. I do drench. I've been using the Merit 75 but have trouble with a pest that doesn't mind the Merit (I think thrips). Was hoping the Orthene would fix everybody. I can tolerate the smell if it goes a week. But I am also wondering if application will have to be more than once - as I do the Merit? (I couldn't treat them outside this year as we had a bumper crop of leopard frog babies everywhere. I was afraid of poisoning them.)

Orthene 97% WP as a DRENCH will take care of just about any critter
around. Don't spray! Just drench the potting medium outside and then
wait an hour or so and take the plants back inside.

Back