Me Too... C. labiata coerulea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richgarrison

Reaction score
I've been giving most of these seedlings away as they've opened... mostly no coerulea in the actual flower and only a pale indication in the lip.. but this one i think is a keeper... from francisco it was hiding behind a bunch of stuff as i caught it walking back into the house... 16 cm ns h 17 cm ns v fragrant... just opened yesterday so it may spread a bit more...

@DrLeslieEe thoughts?

IMG_2187.jpgIMG_2186.jpegIMG_2185.jpeg

I often hesitate to weigh in with comments as I want to be complimentary yet constructive. In labiata there some wonderful clones , but I also feel that there is much work to be done on getting consistent improvements in quality. The color and substance here seems good, but there is no segment overlap creating a vision of fullness. So you all know, I also often pop some of Leslie's balloons. Below is a coerulea labiata, with overlapping segments, but even here improvements in color saturation are wanting. Cheers.

Attachments

• Labiata NW.jpg
    Labiata NW.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I often hesitate to weigh in with comments as I want to be complimentary yet constructive. In labiata there some wonderful clones , but I also feel that there is much work to be done on getting consistent improvements in quality. The color and substance here seems good, but there is no segment overlap creating a vision of fullness. So you all know, I also often pop some of Leslie's balloons. Below is a coerulea labiata, with overlapping segments, but even here improvements in color saturation are wanting. Cheers.
All good :)

I went hunting for examples of ‘good ones’ after this opened.. and did find some with overlapping segments, and the overall ‘fill the circle’ concept.

Would be nice to have hit the genetic lottery and nailed one of those from my collection of seedlings. I suppose my excitement was truly driven by ‘ this is at least one I would keep’:)

I have another sib that opened with a better lip, but more forward facing form. We’ll give that one another year with (hopefully) some better culture to see if it can work itself out.

Leslie may have the right approach in seeing fine forms first, then seeking them out for his collection…. Ha! Chasing seedlings is taking too much room in my small space.

Latest posts

Back