Massive fire Day

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
We have temps of 45c and upwards today backed with gale force winds. The number of fires that have broken out or built up again from the fires last week is beyond counting. There are atleast 20 towns and even one Major country town under direct threat.
So far nothng near me. The potential for a major disaster is building rapidly.
With a little luck I'll be able to come on line later with a all clear but at this point in time know one can tell.

We have temps of 45c and upwards today backed with gale force winds. The number of fires that have broken out or built up again from the fires last week is beyond counting. There are atleast 20 towns and even one Major country town under direct threat.
So far nothng near me. The potential for a major disaster is building rapidly.
With a little luck I'll be able to come on line later with a all clear but at this point in time know one can tell.

Did you toss that cigarette butt out of the car:D just kidding, sorry

Strike it is hot. There has been no letup since last weekend. Even we are getting temps now at 40oC and above (last 2 days and tomorrow). As I said last weekend, I have never seen such a protracted heat wave. But the end is in sight. Tomorrow night a cool change is coming through which will provide cool weather for most of next week. Am I looking forward to that, as will my orchids.

David

Now have 29 major fires burning across state. Large number of homes lost. Reported confirmed people lost at 14 with possibly 40. Uncountable number of towns under direct threat. Power supply plants surrounded by fire and power lines being damaged or lost completely. The cool change came in with 100km hr winds and increased the fire sizes rapidly. Every major hiway in the state is cut by fires, some in multiple places.

Here is an official brief run down of 3 fires currently going.

The grass and scrub fire is now burning less than 4 kilometres south of Broadford. It is burning in a North Eastly direction and is estimated to be 30 000 hectares in size. ( 75000 acres ) ( 120 sq Miles ) The communities in the area of Broadford are under direct threat of being impacted upon by this fire. This includes: Broadford, Broadford East in the area of O'Gradys Road, South of Broadford, Broadford - Wondong/Sunday Creek Road, Reedy Creek and Tyaak.
The grass fire that started 9 kilometres west of Redesdale south of Lake Eppalock is estimated to be over 10,000 hectares in size. The fire has spread approximately 10km in a south easterly direction to Annex Lane south of Sidonia. The eastern boundary is just west of is approximately 2km west of Baynton. Residents of Glenhope will see the fire burning to both the south and west of their township.
The grass and scrub fire is now burning less than 4 kilometres south of Broadford. It is burning in a North Eastly direction and is estimated to be 30 000 hectares in size. The communities in the area of Broadford are under direct threat of being impacted upon by this fire. This includes: Broadford, Broadford East in the area of O'Gradys Road, South of Broadford, Broadford - Wondong/Sunday Creek Road, Reedy Creek and Tyaak

I have seen the wild fires in the Australia on the news. Are you far from it?

Ramon:)

Not a nice subject to continue but the latest reports are;
25 people confirmed dead with any areas still not accessable to check, many burn injury victums in hospital.
One town completely destroyed, others suffering major losses of buildings.
Farm animal losses extensive but not calculated yet. Now into the 100's of homes lost. We also have 4 NEW fires started overnite due to lightning strikes. Two of the bigger fires have joined up to make one enormus fire with other fires threatening to join.
It has been raining here for some hours now but the quantity is light, one warm day or strong windy day will dry it out again to the earlier dryness.

It is NSW's turn today. Horrendous weather conditions with strong winds and 40oC + temps and fires all over the place. After today the weather conditions look mild for at least the next week so I'd say we are nearly past the worst of it.

It is again very hot here today. By 8 am it was well above 30oC.

David

Not a nice subject to continue but the latest reports are;
25 people confirmed dead with any areas still not accessable to check, many burn injury victums in hospital.
One town completely destroyed, others suffering major losses of buildings.
Farm animal losses extensive but not calculated yet. Now into the 100's of homes lost. We also have 4 NEW fires started overnite due to lightning strikes. Two of the bigger fires have joined up to make one enormus fire with other fires threatening to join.
It has been raining here for some hours now but the quantity is light, one warm day or strong windy day will dry it out again to the earlier dryness.

Sorry that I made a light hearted joke at the beginning, what you said about current loss would make the joke insensitive.
That said, I always get very angry whenever I see peoples throwing cigarettes out from their cars' window, or not stepping on it to make sure it is no longer burning.

Last edited:
I hope this ends soon!!!! What should be done must be done and then life will continue...!!!

More bad news, 84 confirmed dead ( expected to go above 100 ) 750 homes lost with possibly 5 whole towns wiped out, they only exist as a dot on a map now. 20 people in Intensive Care in Hospital with burns and some not expected to live through the night. Dozens of others being treated for burns of a lesser degree. The search and inspection of the fire areas far from complete. 6 major fires approaching many other towns.
The above is current at time of this post.

This is horrendous! It's so overwhelming to think that this is happening and it can't just be stopped. Nature is powerful. It's humbling and sometimes devastating. I hope the heat wave finally clears away soon and you get lower temps....that, and a diminishing of the wind. 'Hoping for the best possible outcome for you. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back