Massacre in Orlando

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happypaphy, what are you going to do when a terrorist runs down a crowd of people in a car? He's going to run away? Or excercise your right to bear arms and shoot him?

Sorry for this dramatic event.
Sadly, as french, I know well what you can fell at this time...

We need to continue to live without fear. Easy to tell, more difficult to do. But it's necessary.:eek:

(And Trump is not the solution... )

The problem with putting focus on this tragedy as a terrorist event (and it is, whether or not he was actually a scumbag of ISIL) is that it takes away focus from the actual victims. I am hearing a lot from gay couple friends that their biological families are silent and offering no support..as what happened when they were married as well as when the SCOTUS ruling came down. This is first and foremost an attack on the LGBT community and I think(but its only my theory) that the ISIL claim is a distraction. I am hearing from many people who have tenuous ties to the homophobic community (mostly via biological ties), that the discourse among them is one of thrill that a gay nightclub was attacked.Fortunately, those voices are being drowned out by the news media and general population. This country has a long way to go to be inclusive. It has a long way to go to deal with a very racist and homophobic past. ISIL and terrorism is a threat but it pales in comparison to our own legacy that we have brought on our own citizens and our children

Is this like British version of fox? lol
The older man in this video is such an ass!
Trying to deny and distort what's so obvious.

I wish he had a gay or lesbian child who died like these people did in this tragedy, and I would love to see if he would still be this much of a disgusting ass.

The same goes for the woman. These are real trash of human society!

The media must be focusing on real problems like gun control and homophobia.

I just learned about this late this morning, very sad.
Saw interview with emergency trauma workers, they say now injuries from high speed guns showing up every day, used to be rare. Definitely assault type 'professional' weapons have no place being sold to general population. I agree with original reasons for amendment allowing citizens to have 'the guns of that day' but have 0 support for allowing war equipment in hands of those who have not been trained highly to use them in protection mode (and too obviously able to inflict wrongful harm in too quick of a fashion)
Also saw interview with father; likely son was disturbed, and highly influenced by hate from father who is afghan. Son claims allegiance to a wide range of terror groups, some who do not ally with each other, so likely he doesn't know anything real about them but is using parts of each to support his own agenda (very familiar story from human history)
Retaliation is senseless thought because shooter is dead. Who is retaliated against? Also in news they said the shooter at one point was hoping the fbi would storm him so he could be dead; not sure I would be allowing a gun permit to someone like this with that frame of mind
The news sensationalizes nutters in this country and unfortunately gives wind to sails of other nutters, very unfortunate

Elmer Nj

Yes. It doesn't matter whether the person is straight or gay.
Homophobic means what the word says.

Internalized homophobia leading to self-hate.
This is not new. Many people have this reportedly, and remember back in the day when closeted gay officials in the U.S. turned other gays in.

Either way, homophobia brings nothing pleasant.

As this picket I saw, people need to realize that some people are gay and get over it. lol

The more I hear about this, the more convinced I am that the FBI and the people enforcing the Terrorist Act need to be put under very close examination to see if there is any competency in any of the agencies.

They had this guy in their sights and decided not to do anything about him??? They decide the people in Oregon are terrorists and arrest them???

In the recent past, the police shot someone in the back while he was running away. Also, the police gave Freddie Gray a "rough ride" in Baltimore and ended up breaking his neck and killing him. Other examples of police misbehavior are constantly being exposed because everyone has a camera.

What the heck is going on?

Many LGBT struggle with their sexual identity when they are young...and it doesn't help that many times they come from homophobic communities and families..where they have absolutely no support network. If Mateen was gay ..it's quite possible that he could not resolve the inner conflicts coming from his religious exposure and from the greater society (that is taught from Old Testament teachings that being Homosexual is wrong) and he broke...if this is true , then society as a whole needs to bear some responsibility, at least as a reflection on the influence we have on young people...this is our legacy.,

The more I hear about this, the more I am convinced this was a targeted hate crime more than anything else. Society and religious beliefs are the sources of the seeds of homophobia.

Actually the definition was originally about self-hate.

That's my theory. He couldn't accept himself because his religion taught him that homosexuality is immoral. So all those people he killed were himself. And he swore allegiance to ISIS as a justification.

Now the media is reporting the shooter was a patron of the nightclub.
If true it seems he was a confused terrorist and maybe not a homophobic.

Serious questions...

When a gay person kills another gay person because the person is gay is it a hate crime?
If a homosexual person hates homosexuals are they homophobic?

If you find these questions offensive I will delete them.

I think it could be construed as offensive.

The latest I've heard in the news this evening indicates he may not have been a self-loathing gay man at all, but rather, a predatory creep who was thoroughly researching, scoping out the scene, plotting and making preparations before he committed his crime of hate.

:rolleyes: congratulations on always being right
.. And to prove it I'll dredge up that famous bit of American childish wisdom "it takes one to know one! Hah! :rollhappy: "

What is wrong with you lately?
Where did I say I was always right, or did I even hint?
Weren't you the one who is right?? and if someone says something different even slightly, then you turn like this?

You were the one who twisted other's comment, and I had to say something back using your own expression, and you are still like this? Great!

Oh, and I didn't grow up here and never heard of that quote, why don't you just keep that to yourself?
Thanks, bye~

It has become pretty clear that the shooter's motivation was self hate or obsession fueled hate, perhaps promoted by religious background or his father's attitudes. That the religion involved is Islam is almost irrelevant. The last minute allegiance to ISIS was not really part of the motivation, more like an excuse. Crazy is just crazy sometimes, and evil is just evil sometimes. Terrorism, sure, but not ideologically motivated terrorism.

Latest posts

Back