Masdevallia mejiana (warm growing species)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
I have always liked Masdevallias but because the vast majority of this genus' species requires cold temperatures, I was hesitant to try growing one. Then I found this species on offer in Ecuagenera's catalog, it was supposed to be one of the very rare warm growing Masdevallias. I bought one last summer and it's been doing great since, 30° Celsius in summer and minimum 19° Celsius in winter were no problem for this plant.

Now, it's blooming for the first time - with eight flower spikes no less. It also has a nice, sweet fragrance!

p1220049-7xua2e.jpg
p1220057-5u0uzq.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Oh - good to know there is a warm-tolerant Masdevallia available! Can we have a photo of the whole plant, please?

Thank you all!

Oh - good to know there is a warm-tolerant Masdevallia available! Can we have a photo of the whole plant, please?

Here's the whole plant. The flowers are a bit past their prime on this photo, they're open for more than a month already. It's my only Masdevallia and I'm surprised how long the flowers last.

masd_mejianavkun3.jpg

I love it so much that I ordered one! Really great plant (and pictures)! :clap:

Thanks!

It's a very nice species and my plant from Ecuagenera was very easy to establish and is vigorous and easy to grow. Good growing!

Back