Malipoense Fail

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
So, finally after many months since last August, these two have opened.

The first three pictures are of the same plant.
The green color of the bud was fast disappearing as the bud began to open, and when I took the first two pictures yesterday, I knew it would not make it given the color and how it has been arrested in this stage for a few days without opening up any further.
Well, this morning, I found the flower dropped on its leaves.
The flower is 12cm across, and chunkier than the other flower.
What a bummer!!!

The last picture is of a different plant.
At this one made it. :)
It is 11cm. No fragrance yet, but it has just opened like this yesterday, so I'm going to sniff on it for the next few days to see if I will get lucky.
This plant is also making a new growth already.
It looks rather bizarre, but I guess that is how it is with malipoense.

image_zpses9gtbcf.jpg

image_zpsymutqiiq.jpg

image_zpszeb9hyhn.jpg

image_zpsatockgpm.jpg

About one month I believe.
That is under not too warm conditions.

I think pretty much all parvi flowers and their hybrids last about that long with the exception of vietnamense and its hybrid lasting very very short, although some people report their vietnamense last just as long.

Close up of the second flower.

I wish I could say "Oh, my, it is fragrant!!!" but no.:p

Hmmmm photo lying on its side, again.

image_zps69p94xry.jpg

With all the variations of the greenness of this species, yes, I do believe when grown cooler during the winter, the color might be better.

I grow indoor and have no such options unfortunately.
I thought about cracking the window open, but that just makes things too cold in the winter.

Oh, well...

I wouldn't risk the drafts either.

As an indoor grower, my challange is constantly managing temps, especially at night when I am trying to cool the plants down enough to trigger blooming.

My better half suggests I alter the thermostat in favour of the orchids before the wellbeing of the humans in the house. Perhaps a bit of a stretch, but not much!

They are usually this tall, though.

BTW, I started to give off very mild fragrance.
Hard to pinpoint what it's like, but it is good. :)

Latest posts

Back