Looking for suggestions, opinions and ideas.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Zuiderwijk

www.slipperiana.info
Reaction score
Hi SlipperTalkers et all,

I lot of members (and visitors) of this forum also visit my web site, PhragWeb. It is therefore that I asked for permission from the moderators of this great forum to be allowed to ask some questions concerning my web site. In response I’m hoping for your opinion and maybe some ideas or other input.

What is this all about? At the moment I’m not really happy with the way my web site has been developing. In the beginning the simply listing of names and accompanying data was fine. However with the expansion of the amount of data I more and more felt that the web site should be more than a static information source. I was thinking about something more interactive. And with interactive I mean for example various search features so that you, the visitor, can get easier and faster to the information you’re looking for. Search features call for a complete rebuild of the internal structure of the data source, and effectively for a rebuild of the web site. And because a complete rebuild is involved I was thinking that while I’m at it, I could add new things. Things you, the visitor, would like to see or think that are missing at the moment that could enhance the web site.

So basically my question is: Are there things, features, options, or whatever you want to call them, that you would like to see added to PhragWeb? Or things that are already there but in your opinion could better be offered in a different way? I’m open to any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Zuiderwijk

Smitty thanks for asking our input. Besides the tabs to search not working for me sometimes, the only other thing I would like to see is more photos of hybrids.

Eric,
Thanks for your response.
The 'trouble tabs/menus' are the first thing to go on the new web site. You're not the only one having issues with these.

Rob Z.

Thanks for asking, Rob!

I don't know if it's possible, but there are many times I'd like to be able to compare photos or look at photos from the same hybrid or species without opening another page or tab. (Does that make sense?)

Rob, I know I've mentioned this before but I can't access your website for the plants. It doesn't work with Internet Explorer, only with Firefox etc. The help line at the bottom of the Home page does work though. Can this be rectified pleae.

@Dot,
That's a great idea. I've put it on 'the list' for the new web site. I still have to think how to best implement it, but I'll surely make an effort for this feature.

@Roy,
I've tested the web site in IE7 and IE8 and it works in both these versions. I don't remember which version you use at the moment, but as I told Eric the troublesome menu system will not be on the new web site.

Thanks for responding the both of you.

All the best,

Rob Z.

I never get any photos. All I get is a list of plants, when I do get anything. Quite frankly, I haven't got a clue as to what I should find there. Too bad! :confused:

In the hybrid section, if possible, for each hybrid, a photo of the parents would be appreciated. Also, maybe a section with awarded clones should not be a bad idea.

Again, thanks for responding.

@Shiva
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with my web site. If you want you can contact me directly, and I will try to help you as much as possible.

@Phragmatic/Denis
Add photos of the parents of the hybrids was already on my list. Adding awarded clones has its problems of its own. I've been thinking for a long time already about adding a list of some sort with awarded clones. However because there are a large number of awarding societies the number of awarded clones is enormous, which make keeping up and keeping the list complete almost impossible. And than I'm not even talking about trying to get photos of all the award clones. In short, awarded clones are on my list but I'm trying to come up with a workable solution. In any case thank you for coming up with these suggestions.

All the best,

Rob Z.

Hi Rob,

First I want to give my appreciation for your website. Both the species and hybrid data is very helpful.

A few suggestions.....

Perhaps a genealogy chart would be helpful for the hybrids, and a photo genealogy would be interesting.

We all like more photos, especially of diverse species and hybrid populations.

You taxonomy listings are good, especially as continuous lumping, splitting and shifting occurs.

Rob, I refer to your site often and REALLY appreciate having it! Thanks very much for all your work to create and maintain this site for all the Phrag enthusiasts. The only thing that I've wished would be different is more photos of hybrids and maybe some upgraded, better quality photos for both species and hybrids.

Smitty's site is my best phrag reference.

Mine too!! Thanks for this site, Rob (where does 'Smitty' come from?).

I love the site, and if kept in its current form, I would like to see more photos of both species and hybrids (some species do have photos either). I know keeping a web site up to date is a challenge, but I would also like to see up to date hybrids listed. For example, Phrag. Memoria Estelle Getty is not listed yet. If you will change the site, I hope you keep what you have, but just add to it. I agree with some other comments - photos of parents of hybrids would be useful.

I really like the family trees that you have. Would it be possible, when looking at the Ancestry of a hybrid, to have a photo of a parent show up when you scroll over the name? Or have the photo beside the name in the family tree?

Keep up the great work! I'd like to see a site like yours for other genera too - is there one for Paphs?

I'd like to see a site like yours for other genera too - is there one for Paphs?

http://slipperorchids.info is a good place to start.

I agree with the others that Rob's site is the place to go for Phrags. I suspect he would like to upgrade and add to the photos, but probably only posts ones that are sent to him.

Which reminds me: Rob, if there are every any photos of mine you see on Slippertalk that you'd like to use on your site, please feel free to "lift" them, or I can email them to you. I haven't been very good about checking to see what you might need.

Hi,

@Slippertalker:
For some time now there is already the "Ancestry" feature on the pages of the hybrids. So maybe I don't understand your suggestion correctly, but can you please explain what you have in mind with "a geneology chart"?
Further more you're not the only one who would like to see updated and new photos. I will do my best to get that realised. Thanks for the suggestions.

@John M:
To you the same John. I have noted in 'bold' on the list of suggestions and remarks you all give, the fact that new photos are a big issue. In any case thanks for responding.

@Kevin:
First of all it's not my intention to remove any features that are on the web site now. The photos... Well as you can see you're not alone with that suggestion. I'll work on that.
I would like to apologize for the fact that I'm behind on the hybrids. Two reasons for that. Quite some people seem to have problems accessing the web site with the 'new' navigation menu. I've been trying to find out what the reason is. No luck so far. Second reason is that now and again I have limited time to spend on updating PhragWeb.
I like the idea of adding photo to the "Ancestry" feature. Others have suggested adding photos of the parents of the hybrids. I could think of a nice combination of these two suggestions.
Concerning your final remark. I must admit that over the years that PhragWeb is online now I've been thinking several times about adding the other two genera of slipper orchids, but have so far been put of by the zillion hybrids that exist within the genus Paphiopedilum. Getting such a web site complete with photos and all would probably be a lifes task.

@Dorothy:
Thanks for your offer. I will certainly make use of it.

@Kevin (again):
Adding distribution maps is something I have put on the list myself already. Thanks any way.
I know of Stephen's site and I think it's very, very nice.

And last but certainly not least :p
@Eric:
:rollhappy: It's a shame that there's an ocean between us. Would be nice to meet in person one day.

I can imagine that my family name 'Zuiderwijk' is pretty unprenouncable by most non-Dutch. The name must look to them like something from Eastern Europe, sort of like the ones used in warszewiczianum and czerwiakowianum, but believe it or not it's a true Dutch name.

So 'nough for today. I would like to thank again everyone for coming up with suggestions and ideas. They will all be noted on my list in preparation of the next version of my web site.

All the best,

Rob Z.

Thanks to you for asking us for our input and taking our suggestions under consideration. You run a very good web site, and it takes a lot of time an effort to maintain and improve a site like yours. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on any improvements!

Latest posts

Back