Local orchids in the Camargue and some other pics

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
ref. to my 2009 thread about Camargue here the link: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11039&highlight=camargue

That's why this time I will not show this kind of pics again, excepted for the onmipresent and too cool flamingo :) :

The first to open local orchid in the Camargue acc. to the brochure 'Les orchidées en Camargue' is Himantoglossum robertianum starting to show up by mid-jan.! On this first of march they were there!!

Quite near the salt of the mediterranean sea:

and they were there by hundreds, no, by thousands:

Along this 'canal', in the sand, just besides the sea:

Closer:

This one, just opening:

Water nearby:

With inhabitant:

Some non-orchid pics to follow!

Jean

When exploring the Larger neighborhood (as banal tourist with car), we went again to The Bambouseraie ( => http://www.bambouseraie.com/ ).

This is Imo a terrific place for bamboo-adapts; those plants (app. they are not trees!!) just enchant me, because of their 'simple structure', impressive variation and, overall, imposant presence!! During these last years they added to the very old trees (Sequoias, Ginkgo, Querus, Magnolia...) and bamboos a nice Japanese Garden!!! Each time, when being around there we are ready to do some More kms for visiting here:

This one, in the middle of outside-bonsais and bamboos, is said to be the largest Ginkgo tree in France!!!!

And to end I want to show a pic of great animals, and, from 'local' point-of-view ( I share this one) a great food!!! Toros.

Jean

Thanx. Was there a fence between you and the Toros!? :p
Orchids and escargot lunch! :D
The Himantoglossum are cool, I wonder if they would take to the shoreline here? What is the temp there currently?

Thanx. Was there a fence between you and the Toros!? :p
Orchids and escargot lunch! :D
The Himantoglossum are cool, I wonder if they would take to the shoreline here? What is the temp there currently?

Fence, and a tele lens :)!!!
night temp last week in the Camargue was +/- 7 Celsius and day temp up to 16 !! Jean

Thanks for sharing these nice pictures Jean.

And btw Ginko's are awesome. I'm going to redo the garden within 2 years and there is room for one of them. I want to have a living fossil in my backyard.

thanks for sharing the pics with us, this is really a big Ginko.
Nice cows did you had something red on you

I'd love to be able to grow some bamboos here. Just waiting for the planet to warm up! ;)

Wonderful pictures Jean!!!! WOW!! So many Himantoglossum!!!!! Impressive! Did you smell them??? They have a wonderful fragrance!!! The Japanese garden is wondreful too!

Are these water buffalos or simply cattle?

I would say, they are cattle. Concerning the fragrance of the himantoglossums no chance: the 2 times I visited because of the Very strong Mistral wind I was happy enough to get my camera focused on the plants :) ! Jean

Back