kolopakingii growth habit?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a kolopakingii plant that I bought about 4 years ago. Todays lf more than 1 m !

Until 3 months ago this was a 1 growth plant, but 2 months ago appeared a new growth-like looking element ( on the 2nd pic, left side), and today I found another new growth-like looking element :):eek:! in a younger leaf's axil ! Is this normal, or is there a problem with that plant?

Jean

Looks right to me. Congrats! That's a handsome plant! And up on a pedestal and inspired by budding Phrags is a good place for it. :) Sounds safe to call this one BS.

-Ernie

That is one fine looking plant! And two new growths to boot! Congrats on that....I suspect you will be seeing flowers on that beauty this coming spring. I have had Paphs put out new growth the same way and everything worked out fine. :clap::clap::clap: Great growing!!!!!

Wow what a gorgeous, huge plant :clap::clap:. As others have said, growths coming like that are not unusual. I had an AOS judge tell me recently that Paph. sukhakulii is apparently known for doing this. That surprised me, because had never really noticed that specifically for sukhakulii.

Susan

Normal for a well grown kolo. Do not forget to feed it heavily from now until it blooms. You can even use some osmocote. Kolopakingii is infamous for dying after blooming if it has not been fed strongly enough. That's why there were so many kolos offered on ebay lately for very cheap price. If you look carefully most were single growths blooming or bloomed without new start...

So far if it started 2 new growths, it should be OK, but still better to feed it more. You should repot in a bigger pot too, a plant like that is fit for a 20-25 cm diameter pot.

you know if the bottoms leaves fell off then those new growths would be right where it would be 'normal'. I guess if the plant is really strong it would hold onto it's leaves more, and you'd see more growths a bit up on the plant. sure looks healthy to me!

Thanks a lot to all of you!!!

btw: the phrag is my Hanne Popow with 5 spikes :) !

Xavier thanks for the tip of repotting (will be a hard job for not killing it at that time :eek: ) and feeding !

Jean

well grown plant Jean !!

I agree with Xavier: osmocote does very well with this species

Back