Kibana Fuuran

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Can't take credit for this since I just bought it, but I do love it! Flowering a full month ahead of true N. falcata tells the tale of this beauty - a hybrid. Gotta love it anyway!

KibanaFuuranSM.jpg

Not as uncommon a color as you might expect Dot. The deeper orange-yellows are favored over the more lemony ones and much more than the pale ones. I love the long spurs on this one, making it look like a true, full-blood Neo. Some of the named varieties carry a silly price tag. I just bought this one as an unnamed Kibana (literally "yellow flower") and didn't have to empty the vault to get it.

Yubae is a very interesting orange-red form that is pricey indeed, but unique in its color and also has larger flowers - maybe there is something other than Ascocentrum in that one. I haven't spilled enough blood to buy that one yet though...

Very nice acquisition! Interestingly, there are quite a few early bloomers shown here lately. Of all my neos, Kibana usually blooms in the later part of neo season along with the true species (and other color forms). Now I just have to wait for my Ascofinetia Twinkle to flower to see the differences (or similarities) between it and the Kibana :)

Not as uncommon a color as you might expect Dot. The deeper orange-yellows are favored over the more lemony ones and much more than the pale ones. I love the long spurs on this one, making it look like a true, full-blood Neo. Some of the named varieties carry a silly price tag. I just bought this one as an unnamed Kibana (literally "yellow flower") and didn't have to empty the vault to get it.

Yubae is a very interesting orange-red form that is pricey indeed, but unique in its color and also has larger flowers - maybe there is something other than Ascocentrum in that one. I haven't spilled enough blood to buy that one yet though...

Hmmmm -- yellow is very uncommon around here, and when you find one, the price is outa sight!

Nice color. I'm not familiar with the genus name 'Kibana'. What other genera go into making this hybrid?

Nice color. I'm not familiar with the genus name 'Kibana'. What other genera go into making this hybrid?

Kibana is of course not a genus name, just a name for a yellow flower in Japan. Fuuran likewise isn't a species, but the Japanese name for Neofinetia falcata. The exact ancestry of these is questionable - there definitely is Ascocentrum in there, but in what measure exactly, who knows. There are a number of named clones of these, but at this point everyone agrees they are not strictly speaking Neofinetia.

Latest posts

Back