Just had a slight bit of sucess with flasking at home :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

I have tried flasking about 3 times until i noticed this ! GERMINATION !Finally:D

This is a cross that ive just sown of Bc. Marina Hatney x C. lobata var. alba
Hopefully it turns out nice:)

DSCN0551.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

What do you think?:p

I'm so impressed!!! You seem to be using a banana-based-medium there? How dow you go about your media? Ready-made or using what's handy? Seeing what you do down there, makes me wanna spend my next holiday in S.A. to come and meet you. Once you hit the paphiopedilum pods, and have your own bench, (and there's not much doubt that you'll get one!), and you have learned what there is to learn (the fiddly bits I mean) you'll come up with flasks like this:

Paph. sanderianum

5898175182_011df7fba3_o.jpg

Paph. leucochillum semi album back-cross

5897875232_7c4220731d_z.jpg

I'm so impressed!!! You seem to be using a banana-based-medium there? How dow you go about your media? Ready-made or using what's handy? Seeing what you do down there, makes me wanna spend my next holiday in S.A. to come and meet you. Once you hit the paphiopedilum pods, and have your own bench, (and there's not much doubt that you'll get one!), and you have learned what there is to learn (the fiddly bits I mean) you'll come up with flasks like this:

Paph. sanderianum

5898175182_011df7fba3_o.jpg

Paph. leucochillum semi album back-cross

5897875232_7c4220731d_z.jpg

WOW! Your slippers look so healthy in that flask! You must be a pro at flasking!

Im using home made medium, because no one in SA sells ready made medium:(

That's what I figured! If you want: drop me your postal address in a PM, and I'll stick you a liters worth portion into an envelope, so you can try how the ready made professional stuff works for you. It's no big deal, since I'll weigh it all out, and stick it in an envelope. ;) Have you got more of these lobata alba seeds available, so you can redo the sowing?

Thanks, ive got the parent plant "Cattleya lobata alba" so i can just reform a pod again. Ive polinated many of my plants like Ansellia Africana, Cymbidium memoria Emilia earheart, Dendrobium fimbriatum var oculatum x Den. fimbriatum 'yellow form', a Restreria tricoglossa pod and vanda ticolour var suavis cross.:D

No Eric, it will be identified, and will be just a small envelope. Noowone will give a monkeys.

Dane, you can try sigma-aldrich, they are in South Africa, problem is to get them to process your order is not too easy. Seems like they ignore you untill you place a big order. I would offer for you to use my laminar flow, but I am far enough away that I might as well be in another country from you.

Dane, you can try sigma-aldrich, they are in South Africa, problem is to get them to process your order is not too easy. Seems like they ignore you untill you place a big order. I would offer for you to use my laminar flow, but I am far enough away that I might as well be in another country from you.

My brother is moving to Johannesburg some time this year, so maybe i'll come checkout your setup when im on holiday their:)

Hi Dane,

Buy your medium from Western Orchids www.westernorchids.com.au . They ship to South Africa and its what I use. You need a company name to order from Sigma. Read this thread: http://www.ukorchidforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1292 You don't need a laminar flow.

You REALLY do need coconut water to germinate the seeds well. Some seed will germinate on banana but I get much better germination on coconut water. You can freeze it away in 10 mL amounts and use it as needed.

Not bad idea, it could work...

I think we have seen the evidence that it does...

Dane, that is a neat idea. Are you using hydrogen peroxide for surface sterilization? How are you sterilizing your medium: pressure cooker or Tyndallization?

If I ever don't have access to a laminar flow (I work at a uni in the bio labs) then I might just go with this method. It is much lighter than a glass fishtank.

Oh, with the Paphs, always try to sow a green pod. It is just so much easier and the risk of contamination is just so much less.

I think we have seen the evidence that it does...

Dane, that is a neat idea. Are you using hydrogen peroxide for surface sterilization? How are you sterilizing your medium: pressure cooker or Tyndallization?

If I ever don't have access to a laminar flow (I work at a uni in the bio labs) then I might just go with this method. It is much lighter than a glass fishtank.

Oh, with the Paphs, always try to sow a green pod. It is just so much easier and the risk of contamination is just so much less.

I first sterilise my flasks in the microwave just to remove anything that has been left in the flasks, i normally fill about 3 cm with water and put them in the microwave for about 3min to boil. Then after ive made my medium i put it in the oven at 160'C for about 30 minutes with the lids loose on top of the flasks.Then i allow them to cool and i quickly open the oven and tighten the lids.

I sow all my pods "greenpod method" as it allows greater sucess:D

I had to teach my self how to set this up from scatch, ownly had the agar recipe:p

Latest posts

Back