Just for the fun of it.... Which species do you see in this Hybrid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

As said in the title, nothing serious about this thread... If you want to have fun guessing the parents, just post your thoughts here... I will then say what is written in the label, and the feedback I recived from the vendor (however, I do not trust any of them!!)

I received this plant as a present about 3 years ago. I had bought some plants, and the nursery included this one as Bonus. The plants is a sequential bloomer... twice per year... last spike produce 6 flowers, but before it has produced not more than 3.. Spike is about 50 cm (20") when the first flower is open, but can grow up to 70 cm (27.5") by the third flower. And it was 110 cm (43") long when it produced 6 flowers!

LS: ~15 inches. Dark mottled leave.

Large pictures to make it easier for the details :D

I see lawerencianum pouch, curtisii petals and stami, praestans dorsal, chamberlainianum stem and glaucophylum colors!!!

hehe... at least we all happen to see chamberlainianum in it :) (it's also in both the label and the feedback from seller ;)

I'd say the barbata side could be superbians, ciliolare, or argus, which is very dominant in this flower.

Rather than a sequential I think it may be a pardopetalum (it has more buds spaced apart compared to what I normally see for a cochlopetalum), so I would guess haynaldianum or lowii.

What does the foliage look like?

From the side, that pouch looks like a section Polyantha to me.... not sure which one though. :)

- Matt

ok, the label says: Paph. philipinense x chamberlainianum... This would mean: Paph. Helvetia... However, PH has no mottled leave, it tends to have several flowers open at the same time (I said my NOID is sequential) and the flowers look quite different, as you can see in these threads:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12212&highlight=Paph+helvetia
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5800&highlight=Paph+helvetia
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4806&highlight=Paph+helvetia

IMO, it is obvious that this plant has Cochlopetalum (sequential blooming - my guess: chamberlanianum), Polyantha (as Gore42 said, from the side, the pouch looks to me very Polyantha - from the front it's a different story. my guess: no clue!) & Sigmatopetalum (Stami. my guess: superbiens or curtisii - I need to pick those spot from somewhere :)) background... Ok, I am not expert in Paphies and hybridization, but that's what I see...

so, I contacted the seller, and he sent this ID: [(chamberlanianum x rothschildianum) x (victoria-marie x hirsutissimum)] x sukhakulii, in other words (Transvaal x Hairy Slippers) x Sukhakulii... which for some reason, I do not believe to 100% (my hypothesis: he made up the combiantion of names when i sent the pictures)

so, I contacted the seller, and he sent this ID: [(chamberlanianum x rothschildianum) x (victoria-marie x hirsutissimum)] x sukhakulii, in other words (Transvaal x Hairy Slippers) x Sukhakulii... which for some reason, I do not believe to 100% (my hypothesis: he made up the combiantion of names when i sent the pictures)

What a grab bag!!

Like a train wreck of zoo animals!

No way he made that up. There is not hirsutissimum to be seen at all!

Weirdest Paph I have yet seen. I'm not sure whether I like it or detest it. Maybe the next flower will open up looking better.

No way he made that up. There is not hirsutissimum to be seen at all!

The many hairs... :D :rollhappy::rollhappy:

Weirdest Paph I have yet seen. I'm not sure whether I like it or detest it. Maybe the next flower will open up looking better.
well, I agree with you.. it is weird, and I don't like very much... but since it blooms twice per year and each time sequentially for about 4 months, I have not had the guts to give it away... as per better flowers... hmmm.. they are always the same (except the one shown here, which for the first time shows some color-break/deformity on the pouch)

Latest posts

Back