Joe & Mam's shop at Jatujak Market, Bangkok

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's something I will never see on my street, not even in a dream.

Every weekend around here, white vans pull over on major roads, set up a canopy tent, and unload dozens of nameless orchids. Lots of Phal clones mostly, with the occasional epi, dendrobe, etc from $5-25. Some of it is very nice, and healthy plants, but none with names.

BTW, I think any unoccupied inch of roadway shoulder is available to sell stuff out of your car free of charge in FL??? People sell cooked food (like prepared meats to full meals), veggies, fruits, plants, tires, appliances, gator jerky, honey, iguanas, fishing bait, you name it. Just pull over, open your trunk, and sell away!

Brett, I'm sorry but your not going to like my answer. I don't think the parents are that great to be selling for that kind of money. I suppose if all you are looking for is dark lecho's this might be a good flask. As you know, I prefer the rounder 3/4 dark against a nice clean white. Sorry to disagree with you my friend.

Every weekend around here, white vans pull over on major roads, set up a canopy tent, and unload dozens of nameless orchids. Lots of Phal clones mostly, with the occasional epi, dendrobe, etc from $5-25. Some of it is very nice, and healthy plants, but none with names.

BTW, I think any unoccupied inch of roadway shoulder is available to sell stuff out of your car free of charge in FL??? People sell cooked food (like prepared meats to full meals), veggies, fruits, plants, tires, appliances, gator jerky, honey, iguanas, fishing bait, you name it. Just pull over, open your trunk, and sell away!

Welcome to Florida! Where did you see the person selling gator jerkey? Specifcally, 'cause I want some.

Wow, that's a great looking bunch of plants. I don't have any ideas on the flask really but the plants in it look healthy enough.

Welcome to Florida! Where did you see the person selling gator jerkey? Specifcally, 'cause I want some.

The most consistently placed gator jerky vendors are on 520 between the 50/520 split and I95 (our route to the beach). Just a little west of Lake Poinsett. They are there every Saturday and Sunday (never been that way during the week). I have seen it for sale along Hwy 192 too, but not as regularly. On the surface roads near us, you never know what you'll find on Alafaya between Colonial and the 408. Same for Colonial between Alafaya and the executive airport.

Hi

Jatujak has a plant market on Wed/Thurs and then the regular market on Sat/Sun. Mam and Joe, as well as other orchid sellers are there all of those days, but in general the best days are Wed and Thurs

In the end I have to pass on this flask anyway as I got an email from Alfredo Manrique that my two Phragmipedium kovachii 'Memoria Grimanesa Manrique' CHM/AOS x self flasks are ready to go a little earlier than expected, but thats OK. So they win, though it will burn a whole in my pocket - Ouch!.. http://www.phragmipediumkovachii.com/Photogallery/gallery/PK-Grimanesa-Manrique.htm

Brett

Last edited:
Brett, I'm sorry but your not going to like my answer. I don't think the parents are that great to be selling for that kind of money. I suppose if all you are looking for is dark lecho's this might be a good flask. As you know, I prefer the rounder 3/4 dark against a nice clean white. Sorry to disagree with you my friend.

I agree with you Bob. I like a clear dark webby pattern against a white background and I'm always looking for stems as long as possible for a leucochilum!

Hi Chris.. I will post a set of links or pics from Thai growers so you can see whats happening here.

Some growers aim for an all black Leuco/godefroyae. Some are getting close, but it seems so far at the expense of shape, size, and stem.

That said, I have seen some good ones, but way out of my price range.

I will seek some pics and make another post

Brett

Back