Jennifer Kalina

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
The bud developed rather fast, but the actual opening process took a while.

I wanted darker and shiny green, but could have been lighter in color with more unruly petals.

I'm quite happy with this outcome! :)

The flower is not scented just in case someone asks, the ns is 11cm.
The spike is 18 inch tall, the entire plant is 19 inch wide.

Still no signs of new growth, but it has good roots and many healthy leaves.
The spike has at least two more buds.

0rAjQMfl.jpg

That's a great example of this grex, which was named for my youngest daughter. The cross is (malipoense x victoria-regina (which was called chamberlainianum back when I registered it) and yours looks as good or better than most of the awarded ones in the AOS Orchids Plus database.

Last edited:
With cochlo x parvi hybrids, the biggest turn off for me, and probably for many others, the flower shape being too heavily influenced by the cochlo, often creating flowers that are not full at all with oval shaped pouch and unruly petals.

I like how this one turned out. If only that one petal straightened out, it would be nearly ideal for me. :)

I'm looking forward to the second and third flower. Probably smaller, but could have better petal stance.

Tom, did you make this cross?
If so, do you remember what the leaves looked like on victoria-reginae?
I know it is a plant of controversy, but I happened to have both victoria-reginae and chamberlainianum.
My chamberlainianum is as large as big bulldog hybrids. I picked it among box full of them, and all were large if not bigger.
My victoria-reginae is very compact, could be a seedling, but I've had it for nearly two years, grew about three leaves and has not grown larger.
I hope it is a smallish plant with nice flowers so I could dump the large chamberlainianum. lol

I did make the cross and registered it in 1995 listing Paph. chamberlainianum as one parent. This species is now considered to be synonymous with Paph. victoria-reginae. The leaves on the "chamberlainianum" were plain green and approx. 2" wide, with faint tessellations at the base of the leaves.

Thanks!

So, did you remake this cross since or did someone else?
Mine cannot be that old, right? lol

Chamberlainianum I have, and have seen had plain green leaves also, and with slight reddish tinge at the back side near the base.

My victoria-reginae has slight tessellation on the top surface, and significantly more pigmentation on the underside of the leaves.

The flower is not scented just in case someone asks

You KNEW I'd be asking sooner or later!

I like this cross. More color than something like a typical Envy Green. I actually saw several of these in bloom at Looking Glass orchids, and they were all pretty good quality. Big flowers, good color, the shape on some better than others, but no fragrance on any of them that I could detect.

I like the lighter, contrasting pouch. It is interesting to see how well parvi genes hold up against cochlo genes, since both tend to be pretty dominant in their hybrids. Good presentation overall, and the foliage is really almost as beautiful as the flower.

Wow!!! Excellent result. A pingpong pouch and good mix of color. Nice tall spike too. Keeper for sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You really make me want to come down to visit that nursery! :)

Is May too hot already down there??

Yeah, Green Envy will be just green. The whole point of using primulinum is to let parvi color shine through all the way.

You KNEW I'd be asking sooner or later!

I like this cross. More color than something like a typical Envy Green. I actually saw several of these in bloom at Looking Glass orchids, and they were all pretty good quality. Big flowers, good color, the shape on some better than others, but no fragrance on any of them that I could detect.

I like the lighter, contrasting pouch. It is interesting to see how well parvi genes hold up against cochlo genes, since both tend to be pretty dominant in their hybrids. Good presentation overall, and the foliage is really almost as beautiful as the flower.

An update on the size increase.

The petals elongated and straighten out a bit after a little over one week of being open.

It is 13cm wide. It's the fully open state now, I believe.

Latest posts

Back