It's Neofinetia time!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark is correct -- I really messed up the names. I think they are correct now, plus I added one that I somehow left out -- which might explain somewhat why my list didn't match the photos. But I also had some with incorrect names.

Those are all very nice. I bought a few last year from a Japanese guy who lives in California now. One just opened today with light green sepals and petals, really neat. The other has white sepals and petals and a green lip, should open in a few days. I was thinking maybe a seed pod or two might be in order. I have names for them somewhere, the labels are in Japanese and yes, they were VERY expensive...

I'm so glad you are having success with these, Dot. I should have given you more of them. :clap:

I see that Orchids Limited are offering a bunch of Neos -- and they changed their potting mix:

"I also want to note that we have now changed our potting methods on most of our Neofinetia. We now pot in plastic pots with a mixture of Orchiata bark, Growstone and charcoal. This decision was made for two reasons. The first is that the potting mix will last longer than one year, which helps us out with labor. The second reason is that the plants grow over winter better, as our winters are dry and the sphagnum tended to pull moisture out of the plants. In addition, the repotting is much faster. With that being said, I know many of you enjoy the traditional moss mound. When you order, if you would prefer the moss mound, please request so in the shipping instructions field and we will mound them before shipping."
https://www.orchidweb.com/category/japanese-orchids.html

Wow very nice! Do you change the amount if light they get from winter to summer or do you maintain a similar light level? The few different varieties that I have are really putting out new roots and basal growths but I haven't noticed any spikes yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow very nice! Do you change the amount if light they get from winter to summer or do you maintain a similar light level? The few different varieties that I have are really putting out new roots and basal growths but I haven't noticed any spikes yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother nature takes care of that for me. They are on the south end of my greenhouse so they gets maximum light in the winter when the leaves are off the huge maple tree that shades them until about 1:00 pm in the summer. But of course, days are shorter in the winter and the sun is lower.

Dot, really sweet. Nicely grown

My 'Yodo no matsu' has flowers and growth very similar to yours, but is a 'reluctant bloomer', congrats on getting so many flowers. This year I only got one spray of flowers, and was happy I got that much. Yours are very well grown. Thanks for posting.

It is interesting. Some of these are blooming for the first time. And I have others that haven't bloomed yet. I guess they will when they are ready.

Thank you Dot !

Mine are growing like weeds but no blooms yet,they are mounted on cork slabs. Perhaps it's time to consider alternative,I may shamelessly copy your way of growing them properly.:D

I added one more photo to my initial post in this thread. This is a floriferous and very fragrant plain white -- fukurin?

I added one more photo to my initial post in this thread. This is a floriferous and very fragrant plain white -- fukurin?

Furan or Fukiran. Fukurin is a term reserved for marginal stripe varieties. I'm wondering if I might have given you an Amami Island form of Furan and this is it (???)

Latest posts

Back