It is a stoneii anyway

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
Bought it as adult plant few months ago and strongly believed that it is a wild collected clone but fully adapted the cultivated environment. It was not cheap but the flower quality turns out to be very disappointed! It is another lesson for me again: Buy the plant after you have seen the bloom as far as practicable! :(

image_zpso4gurxlg.jpg

I don't think that is a bad price for any multifloral species or hybrid, especially since it is multigrowth. Stonei is much faster growing as a clump rather than as single growths, which take forever.. The quality of the blooms on a first time flowering may improve considerably on the next, especially since you only got this a few months ago.

Paphioboy: thanks for your encouragement! There is another mature growth putting out a spike now, see if it will improve.

SlipperKing: Really? Actually the price has already increased for about 15 USD as compared with 2 years ago.

It's a big plant. So, the price is correct. If you want a kepper, you can add a 0 to your price...

About flower quality, I like pastel color. The form could be better but not so bad.

That's a good price for a plant that size. Half the fun of growing orchids is purchasing a plant that you haven't seen bloom and hope for the best quality when it does bloom. If you don't like what it produces you can always sell it and start again. This one may improve on subsequent bloomings but it's really not that bad now.

That's pretty nice to me. I like the ones with no stripes on the dorsal. $60 is very cheap. In Australia I would say you would be looking at $400-500 for a plant that size.

Thank you for the replies above. I second with Wendy that it is a kind of hope and fun to see an unbloom plant to flower. It could bring us excitement, but on the other hand, disappointment also. May be I have been seeing so many super clones from Taiwan that make my judging scale mint.

For emydura's comment, I don't know well on the price of a Stoneii overseas but it is so far not that expensive in Hong Kong, if you just wish to get one specimen neglecting the quality. It would be even cheaper if you place order from some Taiwan sources, like Mr. Iweyshen.

it is a flowering stonei, which is always a good thing.

Price for a flowering size unbloomed plant would be a little higher in the US.

Your stonei has better shape than my monster stonei. Color is good and generally stonei flowers are pale in comparison to a rothschildianum.

It will get better and give it bright light year round and warm. It will not be hard to get 4-5 flowers in the future IMO.

My stonei has 4 buds coming now and should be in flower pretty soon.

Here, that's a CHEAP price for such a plant. I'd say you got a VERY, VERY good deal. But, too bad it's wild collected. There's no need to do that anymore. Artificially propagated plants are almost always better quality because their parents were selected, not random. Wild collected plants will almost always produce inferior flowers. If you want high quality, buy line bred seedlings and invest the time to grow them up. You'll get some incredible quality if the parents were highly selected clones.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. One fact I could tell you that multifloral species adult plant supply is extremely limited in Hong Kong, only very few retailers have stock of stonei and most of them were wild collected many years ago. Many overseas reputable dealers do not ship plant internationally on small orders. I don't mind to pay more for a better quality plant but my choice is extremely limited here.

I would be happy with it, it has nice blooms, wide petal stance, dark ends, nice white sepal, good pouch shape & color, I think!!

For emydura's comment, I don't know well on the price of a Stoneii overseas but it is so far not that expensive in Hong Kong, if you just wish to get one specimen neglecting the quality. It would be even cheaper if you place order from some Taiwan sources, like Mr. Iweyshen.

I actually have a stonei that was imported from Iweyshen. While the plant itself can be cheap to buy the importation costs are expensive. On top of this the plants will be fumigated at quarantine which really weakens them. My stonei is recovering slowly but it may be years before it is a strong plant again.

Latest posts

Back