Is my Henry carrying a seed pot?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ma_sha1

Reaction score
3 paph opening together for overs month.
It's indoor under lights, no bees.

I was going to cut the stem, stopped in the track by the hardened section that looks like a see pot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445782170.980853.jpg
The seed pot?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445782196.016129.jpg
Three paphs, Henryanum, Helenae and Doll's cabold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is definitely the ovary which might turn into a seed pod. It is a little too early to know whether it will hold as a pod. Paphs and Phrags will self pollinate sometimes.
If in a month the ovary/pod has not dried up and it is firm to the touch, then that likely means it has some seed.
JC

View attachment 10723
The seed pot?

View attachment 10724
Three paphs, Henryanum, Helenae and Doll's cabold.

It's already hardened, that's why I haven't cut it.
There are some small fruit flies, I wonder if they did the deeds? As the othe two seems also carrying.

The question is, should I cut the spike to preserve the plant?
Does the seed pot has any value?

Then it is probably a pod. I would cut it off unless you want the commitment of raising flasks and seedlings.
Not sure if fruit flies are big enough to do the deed. Sometimes, we find dead bees burdened with the weight of multiple pollinia.
JC

It's already hardened, that's why I haven't cut it.
There are some small fruit flies, I wonder if they did the deeds? As the othe two seems also carrying.

The question is, should I cut the spike to preserve the plant?
Does the seed pot has any value?

Since you only had 3 open, examine them to see if any pollen is missing. Then you'll know what crossed with what.

I just checked, no pollen is missing, odd.

Cut the pod open:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445817787.833539.jpg

Cutting the ovary at this point tells you nothing in regards to pollination. Leaving the stem alone as John suggested for a month or two and staying "green" would confirm pollination or not. Typically the ovary dries out well after the flower is gone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

So they all have the ovary that looks like seed pod?
Real seed pod will stay green after flower is gone, otherwise it'll brown out immediately?

Back