Is Driftwood OK for Mounting Orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about cedar shaving and sawdust, any broken-down wood material like that will start to decompose and just like any mulch or compost would, and release poisons. my father killed a very nice stand of raspberry bushes by putting pine sawdust around the plants to squelch the grubs and the moles that were going after the grubs; composting dust did the plants in quite nicely. that said, I don't know exactly why this happens other than maybe there is a whole lot more surface area so that fine evergreen particles can break down that much faster, but I also have plants on cedar shingles and andy's orchids sells and advocates putting orchids on cedar shingles (where I got the idea from) and most plants seem to like being on the shingles quite well

Ross, I think at least a million of those mosquitos must have decided to take a vacation in upstate ny the last few days! actually the powers that be decided to spray the swamps east of syracuse, and the sprays drove the bugs further east and they have been tormenting us all! :mad:

I've been using untreated cedar shingles, as well. Seems to work fine. But it would be fun to have driftwood to mount on -- it has character.

Back