In situ, Upstate New York

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MaryPientka

A large colony on my daughter's farm in Upstate New York. This is the first bloom-they're running about 2 weeks late.

Attachments

• Slipper2014_Fotor.jpg
    Slipper2014_Fotor.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 94
Beautiful! Funny that you people are two weeks behind with your native flora, while we are two weeks ahead after a mild winter and warm spring.

We had a longer than usual Winter and cool wet Spring. It is funny that our seasons are opposite of each other. I am very happy to see the slippers in bloom. I was afraid they were lost.

These are indigenous plants. They only grow in one location in my daughter's 50 acre woods.

The plants were discovered about 4 year ago. There seems to be about the same amount, but I haven't really counted them.

no, they grow naturally, in the spot they chose. Do you think we should polinate?

They seem to be doing a pretty good job by themselves ;)

I will pass on your advice to my daughter. It sounds like fun!

Looks like a very nice stand to me and healthy. After the dreadful experience we had with a gorgeous stand of acaule, I'd say protect that
spot and don't mess around with them. They can be quite touchy.

i think i read somewhere that naturally only one in a hundred or so gets pollinated, whereas you can get at least 50% if you do it by hand
i taught a few friends how to pollinate their's several years ago and their populations have grown exponentially!

Where are you located? If you look back through picture threads by cnycharles you'll see tons of orchids in central ny. I could give you directions to lots. I'm in nj now, and temporarily in Virginia so can't go out to old spots now :( but may be able to see small whorled pogonia and cyp kentuckiense if I can get away from silly job for a few hours

And nice orchid/picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back