In-Charm Topaz (= helenae X Pacific Shamrock)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
It's an old old photo, I bought the plant three years ago from In-Charm Orchids :p Here pictured with Paph charlesworthii:

77.jpg

It establishes well in a highland tropical climate in Indonesia, and has now grown into a nice multi-growth thing.

78.jpg

Alas, it has not flowered again since. Oh well....

Btw the charlesworthii blooms regularly every year.

what altitude you grow it at ?
what part of java are you situated ?
thanx cliokchi

Really nice Hardy. I like these type of helenae crosses.

Very nice, both of them... :) Now why don't I see Taiwanese vendors offering these kinds of paphs? They usually only have Maudiae types.. And I doubt these will do as well under my lowland tropical setup...

I'm pretty sure I have seen Taiwanese flasks of this sort of cross.

David

Thank you guys for you kind comments :)

When I bought this from In-Charm Orchids, Mr. Hsiao the owner told me the bloom shape leaves much to be desired, but he liked its color. So he rated it average. It's the color that caught my eye, looked like a smaller bright yellow insigne :p

Straight helenae with large complex hybrid can produce some surprisingly good forms. I'll post some links under the awards thread.

Cliokchi, my home is in Malang, East java, at around 600 m altitude. It's mainly intermediate temperatures, but for three months we get very cool nights from the dry monsoon blowing from Australia, when it's winter there.

Paphioboy, even here in Taiwan the cool-growing types aren't so commercialized. The summers here can reach 40+ degrees celsius, so it's too hot for most hobby growers. But cullings are often sold quite cheaply during the cool months. :)

I bought two charlesworthii plants from Taiwan, one blooms well in my home but the other never blooms again. I think it depends on the particular clone of the plant also....

There are complex hybrids with heavy dose of brachy parentage, I think these should grow and flower better in the heat. In-Charm Orchids makes lots of these (Paph In-Charm White etc). I haven't tried growing these, since those that I liked were a bit steeply-priced :p

Back