Import cities documents

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy

Reaction score
I want to know what it would take to just have a brachy or parvi imported from china to u.s. I do not have any experience with this, any help would be golden. Thank you!!

Are you serious? If you're buying the vendor should take care of the paperwork. You will probably have to pay for that. If you're bidding on eBay, read catefully.

Aloha Troy,

Be careful; if a vendor is unwilling to go through the process of getting the correct paperwork or wants an exorbitant fee, it's just as well to stay away.

I have several $350 $10 plants!

Unless what you want is a brand new species, there are several good US nurseries who sell divisions or seed grown plants for reasonable prices. If it is an import, they are quite happy to provide copies of the paperwork.

The site said 15.00 shipping lol.. from thailand or china. How much do those documents cost? And how long do they take?

The site said 15.00 shipping lol.. from thailand or china. How much do those documents cost? And how long do they take?

It will cost you about $200 and take 90 days to get a US CITES Import Permit.
It's easy to get.
The Chinese exporter would need to pay for and have the CITES Export License in China.
Then if the exporter ships the plant to you and makes a mistake with his papers you can be prosecuted and go to prison in the USA. USFW is waiting for you to provide them some fun time.

So in the end the permits may only cost $10k in legal fees to get a plea bargain and felony conviction. But if you can afford an attorney they will loan you one of theirs, kind of like a discount coupon.

I think we talked about this before, but I don't think you need CITES import permit (PPQ621) unless you are doing the import for business. This should be true for CITES App. 1 (Paphs), too, right? If you are not carrying them (12 plants or less) as the carry on, you do need free PPQ-587 import permit, though. It took about 1 month or so (faster than before) when I had to re-apply earlier this year.

You do need phytosanitary doc & CITES export permit issued by the exporting country (in addition to phytosanitary certificate), though, as others said.

We should get a group together from ST and legally import some rungsuryianum!! We diffuse the cost, obviously a few people here are versed in CITES navigation, and we legally introduce a new species to the NA market. Win, win, win! No?!?

We should get a group together from ST and legally import some rungsuryianum!! We diffuse the cost, obviously a few people here are versed in CITES navigation, and we legally introduce a new species to the NA market. Win, win, win! No?!?

Someone that is versed in CITES would not want the personal responsibility or they would have already done an import. :( Or are you volunteering?? :wink:

I think we talked about this before, but I don't think you need CITES import permit (PPQ621) unless you are doing the import for business. This should be true for CITES App. 1 (Paphs), too, right? If you are not carrying them (12 plants or less) as the carry on, you do need free PPQ-587 import permit, though. It took about 1 month or so (faster than before) when I had to re-apply earlier this year.

You do need phytosanitary doc & CITES export permit issued by the exporting country (in addition to phytosanitary certificate), though, as others said.

For Apx1 plants in addition to the CITES export license the exporter needs to provide a CITES exemption certificate. With that certificate you should not need a CITES import license. BUT for Apx1 species the exemption is only valid if the entry inspecting Officer accepts it as valid, the decision is up to that single inspector. If they have reason to believe that the plants were not artificially produced according to the agreement between the the two countries then the plants are not exempt. An example would be if the exported is on a watch list for maybe growing wild collected seed invitro. If the plants are determined to not be exempt then a CITES import license is your only hope of defense. If you don't have a license then they can issue a citation and file charges. If you do have a permit most likely they would just confiscate the plants and the violation would fall to the exporter (gets put on a watch list).
It's too easy to obtain false CITES documents in China and too dangerous to trust someone that you do not know well. Even then a mistake can cause you harm.

I'm guessing if I did purchase, I could possibly be charged in china??? If the chinese seller doesn't do their end of cities?

On the other hand US prison is typically nicer than Chinese :p

Lacy Act is something that you dont want to mess with, ESPECIALLY if you are publicly announcing intentions. Odds are you are wanting that cheap stuff from China. All those species are available here.....legally. But be warned, you have inadvertently red flagged yourself IF big brother is watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back