Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Sam Tsui stuff came today. Couldn’t be happier. Had to have the Paphiopedilum braemii (“New Wave” x self) because I’m such a fan of its namesake and figured this little tonsum will be a joy forever. But then I couldn’t resist the idea of a multifloral P. niveum (“Perfect Circle” x “Three Amigos”); nor a sweet P. javanicum var. floresianum x sib (“Knob” x “Green Flight”) nor, alack the day, his sexy P. mastersianum (“Jeanie” x “Liz”). All arrived overnight, impeccably packed. One of the P. braemii is in low spike and I’ll hope to get to see its sparkling-darkling splendor by the New Year!

Attachments

• D672606E-FC9F-447A-BA76-D654F785AB79.jpeg
    D672606E-FC9F-447A-BA76-D654F785AB79.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 25
  • AB501653-1E0B-4211-8902-8873A21FDB29.jpeg
    AB501653-1E0B-4211-8902-8873A21FDB29.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 450075B3-68D1-49F5-8CE4-02C270444668.jpeg
    450075B3-68D1-49F5-8CE4-02C270444668.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 19F15F6D-D3FC-4FD8-91B3-983578D10843.jpeg
    19F15F6D-D3FC-4FD8-91B3-983578D10843.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 18636AE5-5674-46B5-95C3-CFA0E9629666.jpeg
    18636AE5-5674-46B5-95C3-CFA0E9629666.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1370ABF9-8FFB-4D3D-AB85-2FC25E311533.jpeg
    1370ABF9-8FFB-4D3D-AB85-2FC25E311533.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 25
Gorgeous leaves on that niveum!! How could you not get it with such cute names?
I already gifted myself a merry Christmas a week ago (a flask of leucochilum, callosum, and a couple of Cattleyas), but I want to get some niveum. With my warm indoor set up where most things get cranky due to low humidity and higher than ideal temperature, my collection is seeing more and more of brachy creeping in. lol

Gorgeous leaves on that niveum!! How could you not get it with such cute names?
I already gifted myself a merry Christmas a week ago (a flask of leucochilum, callosum, and a couple of Cattleyas), but I want to get some niveum. With my warm indoor set up where most things get cranky due to low humidity and higher than ideal temperature, my collection is seeing more and more of brachy creeping in. lol

Well done!!! leuchochilum is on my list too but first I have to figure them out. Do I want a red one? A “black” one? What exactly IS the species concept…I haven’t ventured into that whole godefroyae complex… but yeah the Brachypetalum are stunners all around. I started with “Dr. Jack” and then a rescued “Mystic Isle” (tagless, identified by crackerjack SlipperTalkers!) and so of course a niveum had to happen. Have you ever seen Sam’s “Perfect Circle?” What a dream. Like so much of his stuff.

Well done!!! leuchochilum is on my list too but first I have to figure them out. Do I want a red one? A “black” one? What exactly IS the species concept…I haven’t ventured into that whole godefroyae complex… but yeah the Brachypetalum are stunners all around. I started with “Dr. Jack” and then a rescued “Mystic Isle” (tagless, identified by crackerjack SlipperTalkers!) and so of course a niveum had to happen. Have you ever seen Sam’s “Perfect Circle?” What a dream. Like so much of his stuff.
I would not name your tagless rescue as Mystic Isle, though. Perhaps, put NOID Mystic Isle (?) for your reference.
The similarity between Greyi and Mystic Isle, or even other primary brachypetalum hybrids, and differences found among individual plants make the distinction nearly pointless or impossible in my opinion.
I remember seeing the photo of said plant. It definitely had niveum but I would not go further from that and confirm as anything for sure.

Regarding leucochilum, it is from tropical lowland in Thailand, so think hot/humid. No cold winter there.
With cooler winter months here, they can get a bit cranky but when kept in the warm room, they are usually pretty happy.

I grabbed a couple of braemii's on November 10. One was in low spike. Here's what you have to look forward to

View attachment 30969
My god it’s beyond my dreams. I love tonsum for its golden glow and this flower is irradiated with it! I’ll be saving your photo to compare! One of mine is in low spike, the other I think may be a terminal seedling that won’t flower until an offshoot matures; it has three tiny nubfans. I’m patient.

can’t stop staring at your flower. Wow.

I can't see, what the problem is? There is only ONE answer to that question: BOTH, OF COURSE! 😁 😁 :cool: :cool:
You’re right!
I would not name your tagless rescue as Mystic Isle, though. Perhaps, put NOID Mystic Isle (?) for your reference.
The similarity between Greyi and Mystic Isle, or even other primary brachypetalum hybrids, and differences found among individual plants make the distinction nearly pointless or impossible in my opinion.
I remember seeing the photo of said plant. It definitely had niveum but I would not go further from that and confirm as anything for sure.

Regarding leucochilum, it is from tropical lowland in Thailand, so think hot/humid. No cold winter there.
With cooler winter months here, they can get a bit cranky but when kept in the warm room, they are usually pretty happy.
Thank you for this. I made up a tag that listed both names as “?”. I repotted; amazing roots, filling the pot, all branching off one central root…which completely snapped off without reason, provocation or warning. I lifted the plant gently and the whole mass just snapped and went to the floor. After its years of recovery from rootless single growth, after blooming twice, it is now a rootless single growth again. Sigh.

Back