"I warned you", it said. "Re-pot me or I'll make my own", it said...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garysan

It's a learning curve...
Reaction score
Seems even after just over a year that this one has seriously outgrown its pot (Eric Young) and I should be more pro-active with my repotting regime...

eric_young.jpg

As you see over on the left-hand side, this was after I'd removed all the old bark & perlite. Virtually no dead roots though so happy days :)

Lots of roots for a 3 growth plant, when it blooms it should stay in bloom for a good while, excellent pick up!!

I've got an Ainsworthii that keeps throwing bits of bark out of its pot which I find on the floor every now and then. As soon as it's finished blooming, I'll do that one too :)

Maybe you should do a time-lapse of these fast-growing roots! I'd like to see them throw bark out of their pot! :D

Untangling this root mass might take two chop sticks! How
long did it take you to get it repotted?

I couldn't untangle it; they're all stuck together and I thought best to leave them alone. I removed all the old medium from 'inside' and checked the roots for bad ones (maybe two or three small ones near the bottom but that was it). Repotted it all as a big lump with fresh medium making sure it was filled up inside and all around in the bigger pot.

I've taken a lead from Ed and as I repot each of my Phrags, I'm moving them out of S/H into taller pots and crocking the bottom section of the pot, hopefully to encourage deep root growth rather than circular... I water ever other day (if in bud/spike I usually water those plants every day) so watering that regularly I think doesn't make much difference whether in S/H or not. We shall see how they take to new culture.

Latest posts

Back