I want a Phrag....can you help?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? That's sad, to have put in so much effort and not see any blooms!

Perhaps it's the amount of lighting that was lacking, like you had suggested. My La Vivace gets dappled, bright morning sun and then shady in the afternoon. It is in bark mix; I am still testing out S/H with one oncidium, to see if this media works with my culture/habits.

I really hope your new Phrags will bloom for you! Good luck!

Ya know. A few years ago I did have a OL La Vivace Epicure Phyllis D. Turner which I got at an incredible price in spike from Orchids Limited. I wish I had the plant today. Now the price has doubled. But it was a nice compact Phrag and the flower was lovely.

I guess my problem with the Phrags I did have was that they were not doing anything --- I mean, they didn't flower for me. I got to impatient, and got rid of them. They were all grown S/H. They kept getting bigger and bigger, and top-heavy, and never bloomed. I gave up......

:sob:

Really? That's sad, to have put in so much effort and not see any blooms!

Perhaps it's the amount of lighting that was lacking, like you had suggested. My La Vivace gets dappled, bright morning sun and then shady in the afternoon. It is in bark mix; I am still testing out S/H with one oncidium, to see if this media works with my culture/habits.

I really hope your new Phrags will bloom for you! Good luck!

Hey Thanks, Jennifer ....

I just recently started to re-build my Paph collection after 3-years. I had most multiflorals, they did not bloom at all for me, except one Paph Berenice, which actually took 4-years to bloom for me, so I was glad I held on to her. I had a magnificent Paph. Julius which was stunning, but way to large for me, and I ran out of space for the large multiflorals, after investing alot (ALOT) of money on the plants.

So I figured I would add some relatively easy Phrags to the group of Paphs.
So I ordered (2) Phrag. Eric Youngs. They should arrive this week, but I think they will be potted S/H, which I am not accustomed to.

I have some potting mix that is heavy on the allifor (hydroton) and I don't like it, and I don't think my Paphs like it either. I'm constantly watering.
I have to find a really good mix for Paphs. I guess I'll keep the old mix for the Phrags.....

I won the Charlie Hanson from Dot's collection in the spring ST auction, and it is great! It's just opening a second bloom on the spike (I hope to get a photo of the twins before one drops off)...and it's possibly developing another spike in another fan.

So far this has been a really simple plant for me to grow, but of course it came from the greenhouse of a phrag goddess!

Hi NeoNJ, I have been using mixes from repotme.com. I use the Imperial mix for Paphs/Phrags for all my slippers. I add a little charcoal to the mix and all the plants seem to be growing really well in it. Maybe if you are looking to try other mixes, you can look into this one?

Hey Thanks, Jennifer ....

I just recently started to re-build my Paph collection after 3-years. I had most multiflorals, they did not bloom at all for me, except one Paph Berenice, which actually took 4-years to bloom for me, so I was glad I held on to her. I had a magnificent Paph. Julius which was stunning, but way to large for me, and I ran out of space for the large multiflorals, after investing alot (ALOT) of money on the plants.

So I figured I would add some relatively easy Phrags to the group of Paphs.
So I ordered (2) Phrag. Eric Youngs. They should arrive this week, but I think they will be potted S/H, which I am not accustomed to.

I have some potting mix that is heavy on the allifor (hydroton) and I don't like it, and I don't think my Paphs like it either. I'm constantly watering.
I have to find a really good mix for Paphs. I guess I'll keep the old mix for the Phrags.....

No fear in growing Phrags

I was once very fearful in growing Phrags. My small collection of 2 dozen grow under lights with lots of fans for circulation. They sit in fresh filtered water that I change weekly. I have no trouble with reblooming and new growths. I use N.Z. moss and fed very lightly with MSU 13-3-15-8-2 Cal.Mag once a month during their growing season. I find Phrag less a challange than Paphs.

Latest posts

Back